Thread: Had gallbladder out years ago, random week long bouts of diarrhea

Had gallbladder out years ago, random week long bouts of diarrhea

Like the title says, I had my gallbladder removed back in 2009. Ever since I have to be very careful about what I eat, especially if I'm not going to be at home. I have to watch my sweets, high fat foods, salads, raw veggies etc. If I eat those things it can bring on a bout or two of cramps and diarrhea. Anyway, that I'm use to. Well about a year to year and 1/2 ago I started getting bouts of diarrhea that would go on for a week to 10 days at a time. I just assumed it was virus's. Well this has now happened about 3 or 4 times in the last year and I know I can't be catching bugs that often because nobody else in my house comes down with them. Is this how IBS behaves? I'm wondering if that is what I have along with my no gallbladder diarrhea.

Re: Had gallbladder out years ago, random week long bouts of diarrhea

Hi Leslie.

Well I just learned something new here. I had my gall bladder out years ago too, in 2004, but didnīt know I had the bladder removed until a few years ago , I thought the stones had just been taken out until I was getting the same symptoms, feeling or being sick a lot and having yellow bile and sometimes bright yellow urine, went for an ultrasound to see what was going on and the doctor laughed and told me it couldnīt be my gall bladder causing it because I didnīt have one. Iīm in Spain you see and should have given a letter from the hospital to my GP here, but I didnīt know that either so it wasnīt on my records. The doctor in my village at the time I had my op, didnīt keep any records as far as I could tell either. Now its all computerised and she retired years ago.

I wasnīt given any advice after the op about taking it easy with certain foods so had no idea about the things you mentioned giving me diarrhea. Some one told me that the regular bouts of feeling sick which I suffer often could be caused because of lack of gall bladder, and fatty foods cant be processed, so I watch that, but had no idea about the foods you mentioned.

I also have irritable bowel syndrome , have had for years. I can have constipation and diarrhea all in the same day, except that its not really diarrhea in most instances, diarrhea classification according to one article I read is when you go more than 6 times in a day.

Having bouts of diarrhea or even just watery regular bowel movements and IBS can be limiting I know, and it does get on my nerves from time to time, but I keep it in perspective and just treat it as one of those things I have to live with. I wonder too if its just an age thing. Both my sisters are the same and they both have their gall bladders and havenīt been diagnosed as having IBS.

After having my gallbladder out over 20 years ago by keyhole surgery i have had nothing but trouble with my bowels,after the op the doctor said that i would be able to eat anything....i wish i could salads are out and most fresh veg,i have ibs c and sometimes diarrhea,but my anxiety doesnt help matters.I always try to stay away from fatty foods too,so i grill or put in the oven most things that i think i can eat.

Quote Originally Posted by prue1956 View Post
    After having my gallbladder out over 20 years ago by keyhole surgery i have had nothing but trouble with my bowels,after the op the doctor said that i would be able to eat anything....i wish i could salads are out and most fresh veg,i have ibs c and sometimes diarrhea,but my anxiety doesnt help matters.I always try to stay away from fatty foods too,so i grill or put in the oven most things that i think i can eat.
    Hi Prue.

I had keyhole surgery and was also told I could carry on as normal. Like you anxiety does me no favours either, but its good to learn your tips. Thank you for sharing xx

Thread Information