Thread: Something my therapist said...

Something my therapist said...

Hi all I was having my weekly therapy session and we were discussing an up and coming holiday I am going on which is causing a little bit of anxiety and we discussed meds etc and I have diazepam but it doesn’t really work if honest so my therapist said that there is a stronger type available that I can place under my tongue that would help and that’s within the uk? Any ideas ??

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Something my therapist said...

Im pretty sure they are talking about the oral dissolving xanax.

20+ year suffer of GAD/Panic Disorder

If they offer it, I have tried it

You can get Diazepam in suppository form...but I'm not sure how they would feel about you popping one of those in when you are sitting in the departure lounge.

I think she means a stronger form of benzo, like Jakemje says with Xanax. Xanax isn't used by the NHS but you can get it on private prescription so it is certainly out there (as licensed by the MHRA). Lorazepam also comes in a sublingual form, Pfizer make it in their Ativan brand:

https://www.pfizer.ca/sites/g/files/...0-Oct-2014.pdf

You can even get Diazepam in a lovely pink syrup that tastes of raspberry!

But I would ask a pharmacist or psychiatrist about it. If the sublingual is no better, it may just be a form created for people who stuggle swallowing tablet just as the oral solution exists for injections. If no better, tablet form exists in these too.

I don't think there is a sublingual form of Diazepam...although you will see plenty of reference to making it into one on forums that are more aimed at pleasure seeking than for medical reasons

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    You can get Diazepam in suppository form...but I'm not sure how they would feel about you popping one of those in when you are sitting in the departure lounge.

I think she means a stronger form of benzo, like Jakemje says with Xanax. Xanax isn't used by the NHS but you can get it on private prescription so it is certainly out there (as licensed by the MHRA). Lorazepam also comes in a sublingual form, Pfizer make it in their Ativan brand:

https://www.pfizer.ca/sites/g/files/...0-Oct-2014.pdf

You can even get Diazepam in a lovely pink syrup that tastes of raspberry!

But I would ask a pharmacist or psychiatrist about it. If the sublingual is no better, it may just be a form created for people who stuggle swallowing tablet just as the oral solution exists for injections. If no better, tablet form exists in these too.

I don't think there is a sublingual form of Diazepam...although you will see plenty of reference to making it into one on forums that are more aimed at pleasure seeking than for medical reasons

Thanks mate always spot on and reliable, I am seeing a private psych soon as my doctors will give me 28 10mg diaZepam no problems I get them every 3 months but whilst they settle me they wear off. I said before sedating drugs don’t sedate me same with diazepam it just doesn’t make me tired.

I’m as stable as ever on mirt, quetiapine and buspirone but the holiday thing is freaking me out abit just the ‘what Ifs’ etc

Let’s see what the psych says I’ll keep you updated :-)

I believe there is a sublingual version of klonopin but that is up to your doctor if they think it's appropriate. Good luck!

Yeah, Clonazepam is another one is used more over here than such as Alprazolem so that might be another possibility.

I couldn't see a separate licence on the MHRA site (without checking every combination to be sure but I did scan multiple brands for the Lorazepam) so either they aren't licenced in that form or they perhaps they are assumed under the tablet form? Not sure on that so best to ask a pro about it.

If this is a big step outside your comfort zone then you may be fine once you are doing it. Anticipatory anxiety can fade as we can finally take action. And I know I get stuck in grooves where I'm not tested so my anxiety may appear less an issue than it is but I wouldn't class myself as particularily stable on my med, so there is every chance you will handle things.

Yeah I’ve been stable to be fair it is more anticipatory and situational the ‘what ifs’ etc but other than I’m all good at The moment . I think my psych will give me Something for the plane and the plane home hopefully

Thread Information