Thread: treatment resistant anxiety

treatment resistant anxiety

I have suffered for decades with anxiety and panic. It was controlled for years with Lexapro until it pooped out on me. Since then, I have tried 14 different medications for my panic and all day anxiety with no success.

Have any of you had this happen and what did you do? When treatments failed, how did you get your life back?

20+ year suffer of GAD/Panic Disorder

If they offer it, I have tried it

Re: treatment resistant anxiety

I've been suffering from panic attacks for almost two decades now and I've found the same thing - nothing quite works. :( I've tried 10 different medications, I've had therapy, changed therapists even, I've tried online programmes and self-help books, I've confided in friends, I've tried braving the situations that cause me anxiety and discomfort.

For me, at least, as pessimistic as this sounds, there is no reclaiming your life. Anxiety will always be a part of you. Even if you were to take the magic pill that would cure you instantly, you'd still be left with the haunting memories of all the bad times the anxiety has made you have.
    I don't think it's about living an anxiety-free life, but about trying to live as functionally and as 'normally' as you can with the anxiety present as an unwanted side-kick.

I am on lexapro and I really hope it never poops out on me too! I agree with the above poster - accepting that anxiety is just part of who you are is important. The medication can sometimes help but it doesn't do all the work. How about therapy? Have you done any therapy or CBT?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I've also been on many ADs/meds and found them to be far more effective at easing symptoms of depression than anxiety. I think CBT and mindfulness techniques are more effective, but not just a few sessions with a therapist: it has to become part of your daily life and routine.

Never Surrender, Comrade

I found that the CBT on the NHS was far too short so after they ended they agreed to offer me therapy but although im grateful for the help the waiting times were far too long but the therapist is very good and im finding it very upsetting but healing.

If therapy is upsetting, it means that it's working. It's supposed to invoke a variety of emotional responses.

Yes that's why I say it's healing

It's not about accepting that anxiety is part of 'who you are', it's just accepting that anxiety is part of life for absolutely everybody. Treatment resistant anxiety? It's not an illness, it's a state of mind and a natural reaction to stress. It's all about how we react to it. Trying to completely eliminate anxiety from life is unrealistic. Instead of papering over the cracks, try to learn how to cope with whatever stress is in your life that produces symptoms of anxiety.

Cath S x

You need to change your mindset toward anxiety. My anxiety is always at it's worse as soon as I see it as something that needs to go away. The times i've been 90% better were when I accepted anxiety. What that means is to stop the fight. There is no fight. Let anxiety "beat you up". Don't lift so much as a finger in response. Let your anxiety take you. I promise you won't die. It may be unenjoyable but you will no longer be feeding the anxiety. You see, you trained your brain to perceive these feelings as something that is "bad" and therfore you are actually feeding your anxiety by doing this. If you accept the anxiety, your brain no longer perceives a threat. For a better explanation of these concepts, I reccomend "at last a life" by paul david. Best book by far on the subject. Trust in our natural human ability to survive, my friend. We are all with you. I promise.

Thread Information