Thread: 2mg diazepam doesn't relieve any anxiety for me

2mg diazepam doesn't relieve any anxiety for me

I took 2mg diazepam to go shopping (highly anxiety provoking situation for me). It didn't do anything and I still felt very severe anxiety/borderline panic the whole time and had to leave cause it was too much. Do I need a higher dose?

I'm taking an SSRI but 11 weeks on it and its not helping much at all but I have to stay on it for three more weeks due to an upcoming occasion so will only be taking diazepam for the next 3 weeks.

I used to take 1mg-2mg when I had more moderate anxiety levels and didn't do anything then either it was more a placebo and comfort of knowing I had it. I hadn't taken it in four months when I took it today.

Also, how long does it take for diazepam to kick in for you guys?
    Last edited by lizamiller95; 27-10-17 at 10:45.

Re: 2mg diazepam doesn't relieve any anxiety for me

I used to take 2 mg for sleep here and there. It would take about an hour for me to feel anything. I found it didn't necessarily do much other than slow my thoughts enough so that I could get to sleep. It didn't like knock me out or anything. It's generally a pretty small dose. I'd encourage you to speak with your doctor about your dose. They may tell you to change it. The risk is dependence with any benzo.

Are you doing anything else for your anxiety? CBT4Panic is available here for free and might really help these situations.

I took it very briefly when starting my last antidepressant and I couldn't take the side effects anymore. It would kick in within minutes, a wave going down from my head.

It would last about 2 hours and then I would have a headache for a short while.

It should kick in fast, it's distribution is fast but there can be some variation.

I find 2mg doesn't touch my anxiety/panic. 5mg works much better. They are so reluctant giving it me though, even though in my mind it is like the best thing ever cause it makes me feel so much safer and calmer. I took my last 5mg today and I am not going to get any more :(

Thread Information