Thread: Is anyone here low on B12 and Vitamin D?

Is anyone here low on B12 and Vitamin D?

Hello! I had some routine lab work done a couple weeks ago for my yearly check up. Its been 2 years since I had any lab work done. Anyway, my results all came back good except my B12 was really low and along with it my vitamin D. My vit D was low on my lab work 2 years ago but not my B12. So my doctor started me on daily supplements for both (already was taking Vit D though) and monthly B12 injections for a few months. She wants to repeat the lab work in February. Of course, I googled what causes low B12 and a few non scary things came up but I also read gastric cancer, breast cancer, and lymphoma are also causes. This got my health anxiety brain rolling and am concerned. I'm not panicking but I just wanted to see if others have had experience with this and did the supplements/injections take care of it?

I had no idea I was so low on B12 (level was 221) but now that I've had one injection and am taking a supplement I'm noticing my energy level is picking up and my anxiety has actually been a little better.
    Last edited by Leslie735; 31-10-17 at 15:30.

Re: Is anyone here low on B12 and Vitamin D?

Yep... was on a prescription supplement for both and now an OTC since the levels came up. I had no symptoms but like you, I noticed I'm feeling better overall since it was addressed.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Yep... was on a prescription supplement for both and now an OTC since the levels came up. I had no symptoms but like you, I noticed I'm feeling better overall since it was addressed.

Positive thoughts
    Thanks!

How long ago was this and how long did you have to take them before you didn't any longer?

Huh... imagine that... you start taking B12 and your energy goes up and your anxiety goes down

From what I have seen, your B12 being low could be from a number of issues such as increase in age, if you are on metformin, if you have IBS, not getting enough animal products (vegetarian diet), or if you have been taking heartburn/indigestion medicine. Also, being low in B12 and Vitamin D is a pretty common occurrence. I have a hiatal hernia and have to take a PPI (for the indigestion) and I actually need to get my B12 tested due to the link between heartburn drugs and lower levels.

I am not a medical professional though, so if you are still worried contact your doctor and tell them. They will probably be able to soothe your worries better than I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie735 View Post
    Hello! I had some routine lab work done a couple weeks ago for my yearly check up. Its been 2 years since I had any lab work done. Anyway, my results all came back good except my B12 was really low and along with it my vitamin D. My vit D was low on my lab work 2 years ago but not my B12. So my doctor started me on daily supplements for both (already was taking Vit D though) and monthly B12 injections for a few months. She wants to repeat the lab work in February. Of course, I googled what causes low B12 and a few non scary things came up but I also read gastric cancer, breast cancer, and lymphoma are also causes. This got my health anxiety brain rolling and am concerned. I'm not panicking but I just wanted to see if others have had experience with this and did the supplements/injections take care of it?

I had no idea I was so low on B12 (level was 221) but now that I've had one injection and am taking a supplement I'm noticing my energy level is picking up and my anxiety has actually been a little better.

I know. I have been down that rabbit hole myself. After a blood test last month I had a result with low B12; however a blood test a few days lever showed B12 above normal level again. Stange, Isn`t it? The answers mostly lies in your diet. Googling will do you no good. I am not telling you tto stop google as it would make ME a hypocrite; but both you and I and everyone knows it makes matters worse. Have you discussed your diet with your GP?

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by beasty340 View Post
    or if you have been taking heartburn/indigestion medicine.

That is the most logical reason for my B12defiency. I have been on that stuff for 11 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie735 View Post
    Thanks!

How long ago was this and how long did you have to take them before you didn't any longer?
    A little over 6 months ago at my last check up. I was on script supplements for 6 weeks and now just OTC. Levels were great last check up and blood work. Doc wants me on the OTCs for the foreseeable future.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate your responses!

paranoid-viking: Glad to hear your levels went back to normal on their own. I don't take anti acid medication except the occasional Tums. So I don't think I can chalk it up to that. I also eat a pretty regular diet. I did JUST go gluten free but that was AFTER I had the blood work done. So can't be related to that really. Yes google is the devil. It has reassured me a few times but is has scared me way more.

I am on 3-monthly B12 injections.

My sister is as well

My mum is on tablets for low Vit D

All very common

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Low vitamin D is extremely common. Get out in the sunshine for 20 minutes a day. That’s what my doctors said. Not always that easy to do though. I take Vitamin D daily.

I have 3 injections every month of B12 and take vit,D daily.

Thread Information