Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabies Fear

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rabies Fear

I’m having another irrational fear that is consuming me. Visited my grandparents today and they informed me that their dog two days ago “got loose and was bitten by something but we don’t know what” Anyways, my first question was “is he up to date with his shots?” And they said of course he is. He was just at the vet two weeks ago. Of course, for me that isn’t good enough. This was after me and the dog were playing together but he didn’t scratch or bite me. I’ve been obsessive looking. Regardless, reading online confirmed, that if the dog did break skin and he did contract rabies it doesn’t matter because the virus is in a dormant state. The dog would have to actually be showing symptoms and the virus isn’t active for at least three days and that’s rarely early, it’s usually weeks. Anyways, as you can tell, I’m struggling because I’m not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Rabies Fear

Well, at least you know it’s irrational and recognize the dog doesn’t have rabies. You’re way ahead of most of the rabies posters on here.

There is a great book called Brain Lock for irrational thoughts. I also use the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Bourne with my therapist.

Whatever you do, you have to face the irrational thoughts head on and talk back against them. Also, whenever you feel yourself starting to go down that path, it helps to also engage in an activity that resets your focus, like going on a walk or playing a video game.

Thank you for the advice. It seems like whenever the thought comes to mind it’s important for me to maybe think “this is an irrational thought” and then go focus on something else? I’ve struggled with OCD as well. Obsessive and intrusive thoughts are my thing lol I’ve made great progress but the thought of coming in contact with a dog that got bite or scratched by something rabies infected scared the crap out of me. Even if he is fully vaccinated. I’m going to work on this and take your advice. Thank you again!

So I’m still struggling with this. My grandparents also washed my bedding because they have a huge washer. Now I’m like “omg what if the dog licked my blanket and my eyes rub against my pillow and I’m infected” even though I’m sure the virus can’t like survive on bedding. My logic is all over the place. Well it’s not logic, I’m jusy constantly thinking “what if...”. I’m struggling to shake this fear. Even though he is fully vaccinated and got a booster two weeks ago, he wasn’t acting weird, he didn’t bite or scratch me, and it was two days after the bite we saw each other so it’s impossible for the virus to be active, I’m still panicking and thinking about this. It’s exhuasting. It’s truly exhausting.

This sounds like your OCD flaring up. What do you usually do when you have OCD flare-ups?

Usually, not give the thought the fear that it wants. This one is just very hard for me because I’m not sure what is logical with the virus. I’m not 100% sure how it’s spread because google (of course) provided me a bunch of scary information.

Well, Dr. Google is a quack. Never see him.

What is logical is you don't have the virus and neither does the dog. Deep down, you know that.

OCD makes a liar out of your brain. Your brain says to worry when there is nothing to be worried about. I don't know how old you are, but usually the older you get, the worse it gets if left untreated. Most people treat their OCD with therapy and/or meds and lifestyle changes. There are many additional techniques such as yoga, meditation, self-help books, journaling, etc. that help. I think it's time you start trying some things in addition to fighting back against the fear.

Thank you. You’re right. I’m in CBT but sometime it concerns me that it’s not helping me that much because of episodes like this. Maybe OCD requires a different treatment than GAD.

Quote Originally Posted by AnxietyZT View Post
    I’m in CBT but sometime it concerns me that it’s not helping me that much because of episodes like this. Maybe OCD requires a different treatment than GAD.
    Talk to your CBT therapist abut your reassurance seeking on an anxiety website. It's important as reassurance seeking behavior can be detrimental to your recovery.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Talk to your CBT therapist abut your reassurance seeking on an anxiety website. It's important as reassurance seeking behavior can be detrimental to your recovery.

Positive thoughts
    Yeah she is going to be upset with me lol. She warned me not to go down this path of constant reassurance. I’m someone that use to do ALS strength tests hundreds of time throughout the day. I’m going to work on this and fight back against my thoughts. It’s tough, but I’ll put in the work. Got through this before!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information