Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dread therapy.

Dread therapy.

Been having therapy (psychologist ) for nearly a year.

I dread going now. Feel anxious. I opened up more at the start than I do now. Feel a little judged ..it maybe me, not the therapist. It all triggers me so badly.
    She is nice, although at the end of the day doing a job for the nhs and I guess there is a process...

Re: Dread therapy.

I know how you feel, Velvet. I haven't had therapy for years now but when I did go I felt there was a set agenda and my real issues were not discussed despite the fact that I specifically said that they were the direct cause of my anxiety. I hated going because it wasn't going anywhere and was a waste of everyone's time.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I know how you feel, Velvet. I haven't had therapy for years now but when I did go I felt there was a set agenda and my real issues were not discussed despite the fact that I specifically said that they were the direct cause of my anxiety. I hated going because it wasn't going anywhere and was a waste of everyone's time.
    Thank you for replying pulisa.

Yes you describe just how I feel.
    I feel it’s all just a process of elimination of sorts and wasting hers and my time. It’s depressing...although if I say forget it, I will feel I’ve let myself down for not trying and the system will not want to know me , I would possibly be labelled as not engaging....

I’m sorry you felt the same, although it helps to know I’m not alone in how I feel,
    Thank you

But you've been "engaging" for nearly a year! That's true commitment. No one could say that you haven't given therapy your best efforts. It's not for everyone and having the right therapist is essential. The NHS is limited in what it can offer but private therapy can be a lottery too. It's far from straightforward.

But you've been "engaging" for nearly a year! That's true commitment. No one could say that you haven't given therapy your best efforts. It's not for everyone and having the right therapist is essential. The NHS is limited in what it can offer but private therapy can be a lottery too. It's far from straightforward.

Yes your right..
    Thanks, what you say certainly makes me think.
    Appreciate the replies x

I’ve just posted about private therapy. I guess I thought it might be a game changer but maybe not??

Hi Velvet.

I have had CBT twice, but never for a year.
    my fist therapist who attended me the first time I had a really bad do with anxiety was fantastic, and I really felt she helped me a lot. As it was my very first time and I was in such a huge mess and didn´t have a clue why, I really appreciated her.
    My second therapist was years later and she did home visits, but I never felt at ease with her, she wasn´t the type of person I could ever feel comfortable with I don´t think, and she seemed to only have the stock answers and no patter as it where. I found her questions of " And how did that make you feel" Irritating to say the least and after a few sessions I asked her not to come again.
    Maybe you could take the bull by the horns and tell her how you are feeling about your therapy sessions now Velvet. Maybe that would help both of you to get back on a better track. Might be that as you are no longer as open, she´s at a loss too.
    Hope you feel better soon.xx
    PS. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me when I leave a comment, few do, and its appreciated when you do.

---------- Post added at 10:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

PS. Velvet. Have you been in the chatroom yet? it would be nice to see you there xx

Quote Originally Posted by Chick100 View Post
    Hi Velvet.

I have had CBT twice, but never for a year.
    my fist therapist who attended me the first time I had a really bad do with anxiety was fantastic, and I really felt she helped me a lot. As it was my very first time and I was in such a huge mess and didn´t have a clue why, I really appreciated her.
    My second therapist was years later and she did home visits, but I never felt at ease with her, she wasn´t the type of person I could ever feel comfortable with I don´t think, and she seemed to only have the stock answers and no patter as it where. I found her questions of " And how did that make you feel" Irritating to say the least and after a few sessions I asked her not to come again.
    Maybe you could take the bull by the horns and tell her how you are feeling about your therapy sessions now Velvet. Maybe that would help both of you to get back on a better track. Might be that as you are no longer as open, she´s at a loss too.
    Hope you feel better soon.xx
    PS. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me when I leave a comment, few do, and its appreciated when you do.

---------- Post added at 10:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

PS. Velvet. Have you been in the chatroom yet? it would be nice to see you there xx
    Hiya.

Thank you so much for replying. Means a lot.

Yes you do have a point here about speaking about were we are at with the sessions. My sessions are with a clinical psychologist ..for trauma/ptsd /agoraphobia symptoms. She is very gentle and nice. How I feel about it all is a bit complex,
    Because I’m seeing her later I’m totally anxious. There are some circumstances in it all that make it more complex and not straightforward

I too am grateful for my first cbt sessions, I had no idea what was happening to me, and it helped me understand a lot. I think knowing what is going on helps better manage it. I know I do really well mostly, although when I crash I crash hard....I isolate a lot.

I did go in the chat room a while back. Must venture in again...
    Thank you for the support.

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blonde123 View Post
    I’ve just posted about private therapy. I guess I thought it might be a game changer but maybe not??
    I think the whole therapist thing can be complex...for some it’s straightforward and works wonderfully it seems.

I think it depends on quite a few things. The person, and how it suits them, the therapist and now they work and gel etc..
    Hope it works out for you. I guess if you don’t try it you would never know.
    Wish you all the very best x

I think it's very hard to find the "right" therapist for complex entrenched issues. You really do have to trust that you have made the right decision but it's pretty obvious when you haven't. I think you do yourself more harm than good if you're not happy with a particular therapist and know that they are taking the easy route..

I found it very hard to tell therapists that I didn't want to continue sessions. It was because they were going nowhere and there was nothing left to say on either side. Ridiculously I didn't want to hurt their feelings...

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I found it very hard to tell therapists that I didn't want to continue sessions. It was because they were going nowhere and there was nothing left to say on either side. Ridiculously I didn't want to hurt their feelings...
    The psychologist I had maintained a very detached and clinical patient-therapist relationship throughout the time I saw her. This made it much easier to vent my feelings of anger - sometimes directed at her. In fact, we clashed on multiple occasions, which may not come as a complete surprise

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information