Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: propanolol

Re: propanolol

I'm on propranolol and it's just slowed my heart rate down a bit. I think one of the side effects is occasionally fainting which is linked to the low heart rate and low blood pressure mentioned in previous posts, but that's something I have never experienced in the past and hopefully never will!
    My counsellor says to think about coming off them in April / May after the clocks go forward and the days get sunnier cos apparently that's the optimum time to come off meds.
    I think I can definitely cope without them as I've found my problems to be mainly in the mind and not the body.

Nic 1202. Ive been on propranlol on and off for 10 years. I have to say they very much worked for me and got me over a very difficult period. Now I have found that my body has kind of got used to them and I can now deal with the effects of a 'panic'. They were my lifeline for a long time but I am now having to deal with feel of anxiousness and so am trying citalopram

I often feel like Im not breathing and this makes me more anxious. I agree about yhe wierd feelings too.
    I dont often take them and I dont find them very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nic1202 View Post
    I have also been prescribed Propanolol but am too scared to take them. I keep thinking my heart will so down too much or even stop??

Has anyone ever felt weird when taking them i.e not feeling your heart racing as much but slowing down too much??

xx
    I got a little worried a few days ago because it slowed down a heck of a lot, but it's meant to do that.

The only thing I hate is the dizzyness just after I take one, but it's the blood pressure dropping. And when i'm out and about I tend to feel really strange! Yet when i'm driving i'm absolutely fine.

They say not to take them if you suffer with low blood pressure becoz they do slow your heart down, as they are also pescribed for high blood pressure, as was the reason i had them last summer. I also suffer with ectopics from time to time and the doc said theyd help with this too. They brought down the bp ok, but the ectopics stayed, although not so strong more like small flutters in the background.

However they also made me feel I had no energy and out of breath at the least effort (theyre not recomended for people with asthma either, so maybe theres a connection there i don't know) and in the 9 months i was on them my weight increased by 1 and half stones (another common side effect of all beta blockers i think, cetainly with propranolol anyway) I was on 80mg slow release, so the doc decided to take me off them and give me meds that only treat high bp but within days my anx level was really high. I couldn't believe i was having withdrawal anx from beta blockers!

So now i'm back on a different beta blocker called Bisoprolol (5mg a day) and so far they seem to be ok, tho they don't take away all of the anx symtoms, but they don't make me feel as bad as the propranolol did. But i really don't want to keep upping the dose, if they keep my bp stable then i'll try hard to ignore any nax from them and keep taking the smaller dose.

Much to my despair i'm now caught up in a circle of meds, and if it was just the anx that i was trying to sort out i would try to do it without them, but i suffer with high BP and this has to be treated with something.

Its so hard to advice people about meds coz everyone has a different reaction to them.

Cathy V xx

I was surprised to get side effects as quickly. I assumed it would take at least a few days before I felt anything (better or worse). Within an hour or so of taking my 40mg tablet, I felt really dizzy and disoriented - this lasted about an hour / hour and a half, so wasn't too bad. Then trying to get to sleep was beyond a joke - I think it was about 5am in the end

Add to that my mouth is contantly dry (so lots of loo visits due to the increased water intake) and I actually feel more anxious now than I was before.

(I was prescribed 40mg once a day to increase to twice per day after the first week. This is for frequent panic attacks and constant anxiety)

I had heard that sometimes you can initially feel worse when starting any medication so I'm going to ride it out and follow my docs instructions for now. Wish me luck

would any one mind telling me why you have been prescribed propanalol - much appreciatedx

Post Re: propanolol

Hello, i am new to all this and i have just been issued with propanolol from my maverick doc.. his attitude was... well if you are going to shuv rescue remedy down your throat then you may as well try these!! wasnt very helpful considering i swear by rescue remedy.. if you go to the bachs flower remedies web site you can have your own treatment made for you as well.. which is what i have done and am waiting for it to come in the post and then take that before i touch these pills, he has only put me on 10mg twice a day.. but the side effects dont sound great at all :mad: !
    my anxiety attacks consist of just falling asleep, racing heart, stomach churn, feel like i am going mad and then the shakes start.. its not fun anymore:wacko: and i aslo dont think staring at a laptop last thing at night helps either!..

With best wishes to all

Paula x

Just started on the propranalol, i'll post up any side effects, i hope these work otherwise i might have to smash someone...

this is to belbel ,i was pescribed for panick atacks!! why u ask???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information