Thread: Can you get diabetes in short amount of time?

Can you get diabetes in short amount of time?

Hi guys, I read that we can't get diabetes overnight just by consuming sugar. But can it really happen in, say, a month or so if we consume sugar excessively? And I mean fruit sugar and things like that. Because of colitis, I had to limit consuming certain foods so I ate many fruits, I mean for a certain amount of time.

My fasting insulin, fasting glucose and 2 hour after meal glucose were all low. I wake up to pee in the night (sometimes in a day, and a bit pain in the bladder, sometimes thirsty) and usually my limbs feel numb when I'm awake.

Two of my doctors said it just because I limited my eating habit, after I explaining my anxiety on diabetes type 1 too (this and colitis are autoimmune and someone who had one was prone to the other).

Even now I'm anxious of diabetes type 2. I read that hypoglycemia can be an early sign of diabetes.

Any experience like this? Thanks.

Re: Can you get diabetes in short amount of time?

Get the a1c test if you're concerned, or if you're medical issues/family history put you more at risk. To answer your question- no, you don't get Diabetes overnight. My dad just got officially diagnosed with Diabetes at 63, he was prediabetic for 5 years. Prediabetes is usually the stage before Diabetes where you can make lifestyle changes and get things controlled.
    P.S. You’re not going to die. Here’s the white-hot truth: if you go bankrupt, you’ll still be okay. If you lose the gig, the lover, the house, you’ll still be okay. If you sing off-key, get beat by the competition, have your heart shattered, get fired…it’s not going to kill you. Ask anyone who’s been through it.” ~Danielle LaPorte

CardioPhobin' since 2011.

Re: Can you get diabetes in short amount of time?

Thanks so much! I forgot to mention that I did A1C test too and it was normal. I also heard about prediabetes. Thanks for the advice. Just a while back I asked again my GI doc and he answered the same and said that my waking up peeing, frozen limbs just could be caused by temporary sugar spike and not diabetes itself. And yes, he said it took a long time. I'm sorry to hear about your dad and hopefully he's getting well.
    Last edited by exbenzo; 06-11-17 at 16:30.

Thread Information