Thread: Full Blown Panic

Full Blown Panic

I have Lupus, Fibromyalgia and health anxiety. This is not a good combination. I just woke up after about 3 hours of sleep. I don't sleep well. My left arm is hurting. A lot. I have no idea why. I rolled over, wondering if I did something to it. Then, I started getting a burning sensation in my chest. HA kicked in. "I'm having a heart attack." I'm currently sitting upright, pain in my left arm, burning in my chest and shaking uncontrollably from the stupid panic attack.

I'm trying so hard to overcome this mental illness. But how do I overcome it when there is legitimately something wrong with me? Something that gives me pain, something that causes anxiety and increases my chance of actually having heart issues?

I'm tired of going to the hospital and being treated as though I'm crazy. I want to stop the circle of panic. Sometimes I get really angry and say at this point, I'd rather just die of the heart attack than live like this any longer. And I mean it in the moment, but when these stomach and transient arm pains happen, fight or flight kicks in, and I forget all about that brave moment. And I sit, like I am now, shaking uncontrollably. Trying so hard to fight against this health anxiety undertoe.
    Last edited by Ellecee; 07-11-17 at 10:26. Reason: Spellcheck

Re: Full Blown Panic

I remember something I read by a very experienced doctor who used to visit here. He said that the pain felt in the arm prior to a heart attack was so intense that it would cause the individual to grab ahold of his or her left arm. He said that the pain that accompanies a heart attack is unmistakable.

Quote Originally Posted by swajj View Post
    I remember something I read by a very experienced doctor who used to visit here. He said that the pain felt in the arm prior to a heart attack was so intense that it would cause the individual to grab ahold of his or her left arm. He said that the pain that accompanies a heart attack is unmistakable.
    True. I had left arm pain in my 1st heart attack. It was basically useless by the time I got to the hospital. As I've said here before. If you are in that much distress, you wouldn't be posting here waiting for reassurance. But as always. we're not doctors. If you're feeling that bad, seek medical attention.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Was that RLR or something similar?

He was great xx

Quote Originally Posted by swajj View Post
    Very helpful, thank you! I'll add that to my arsenal of self-talk for when the panic monster tries to show up again.

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:34 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    True. I had left arm pain in my 1st heart attack. It was basically useless by the time I got to the hospital. As I've said here before. If you are in that much distress, you wouldn't be posting here waiting for reassurance. But as always. we're not doctors. If you're feeling that bad, seek medical attention.

Positive thoughts
    I completely agree. I'm more or less ranting about trying to break that cycle- trying to stop panic before it sets in, trying to stop thinking about my heart with every little thing. I'm to the point where I'm annoyed with the panic, more than I'm afraid of it. I'm able to stop most anxiety in its tracks, before it becomes a full-blown panic attack, but every once in a while one breaks through. I've come so far, just frustrated with the lack of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by elviiswi View Post
    Was that RLR or something similar?

He was great xx
    Yes RLR. I use to read his posts when my anxiety was high. They always helped me to quell my anxiety. You should use advanced search to look for his old posts. Read him for an hour (almost guaranteed to give you some perspective). Good luck. 🙂

Thread Information