Thread: Melanoma fear please help

Melanoma fear please help

In my health we are learning about melanoma and now I'm scared. I've had this big mole on the side of my breast for a really long time and was never really worried about it because it has always been there. But now that Im looking at it I'm getting anxious. Its big, but not bigger than an eraser on a pencil. It looks symmetric, but along the border it looks a bit darker. It never hurts and I never notice is ooze or anything. Its mostly dark all over, but a little darker on the edges. I have a couple big moles on my back that have always been there, but again I can't look at my own back so I don't know if they look like this one. Im scared because if it is melanoma its been there for years and that means I would probably die from it, right? Please help, Im too scared to go to the doctor.

Re: Melanoma fear please help

Quote Originally Posted by Moso13 View Post
    In my health we are learning about melanoma and now I'm scared. I've had this big mole on the side of my breast for a really long time and was never really worried about it because it has always been there. But now.............
    So something you've always had and isn't anything worry about at all (because you've always had it), is a worry because you read about melanoma...

What do you want people to say? Your first few sentences dismiss it as irrational.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    So something you've always had and isn't anything worry about at all (because you've always had it), is a worry because you read about melanoma...

What do you want people to say? Your first few sentences dismiss it as irrational.

Positive thoughts
    Well I don't know if I have always had it, but I've had it for as long as I can remember. And now that I am really looking at it, it looks strange

I'm pale pale pale, covered in freckles and have a bunch of weird looking moles all over. Oh and I had severe blistering burns as a kid. And live in sunny California.

Yeah, I've scared myself with the internet and melanoma. If you're really worried see dermatologist and they will give you a whole body check (it's a normal routine, they do it all the time), they'll take a picture of anything suspicious and tell you to come back in a few months to compare. If they see anything that actually needs worrying they'll test it.

Go see one and it should make the anxiety go away. In all likelihood you're completely fine. People online will scare you with stories that their "completely normal" looking mole turned out to be melanoma. Don't worry about that crap. A lot of people literally can't be worried about every little mole becasue they're a freaking garden of moles and spots. Solid skin people won't understand, lol.

Thread Information