Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ALS Rabbit Hole --- AGAIN!

Forgetting how to swallow? ALS?

Has anyone had this, I went to the DR again about my eye twitch and she said, 'if you're having problems swallowing I'd be more concerned.' - well a week ago I tried swallowing two times and I couldn't, it was like my body just forgot how to swallow?
    Then I breathed and was able to swallow again, i'm assuming with ALS once it starts it doesn't change - you can't not swallow then suddenly swallow?
    Would that be correct?
    I"m in the ALS rabbit hole, seeing a neurologist on the 20th August but thats ages away.
    My Dr said the twitch was just a twitch, but i didn't tell her about the swallowing episode, I have had it before due to anxiety - i hope - anyone else????

Re: Forgetting how to swallow? ALS?

The swallowing thing is 100% anxiety!! I've been having it since I was 8 years old! Sometimes it's like a knot in my throat and other times I just go to swallow and can't for a few times. It's terrifying I know but it's completely anxiety sweetie

I thought anxiety - I've definitely had it before and can eat food no issue. I'm sure if it were ALS it doesn't stop working then start working again? When will I be free from this fear?
    - when my eye drops twitching!!!

You do realize that it didnt happen until she mentioned it right? that alone shows you its most likely anxiety. you need to take a break and bring your mind back to reality because anxiety obviously has a tight grip on you and believe me its a terrible feeling.

No it had happened a couple of times a week before!
    But I am still OK to eat etc so I just assumed it was anxiety until the Dr mentioned it today!!

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredLizard View Post
    The swallowing thing is 100% anxiety!! I've been having it since I was 8 years old! Sometimes it's like a knot in my throat and other times I just go to swallow and can't for a few times. It's terrifying I know but it's completely anxiety sweetie
    ^ 100% anxiety, yes. Whilst not being a HAer means I never doubted it was anxiety, it still happened when I was very anxious. The same with breathing. I can remember at my worst trying to work out how to generate thoughts to move a limb and even to generate another thought!

When's your appointment to see a therapist?

Anxiety! I remember having this when I was younger, I cried and cried because I could not swallow and I remember my mum took me to the doctors for some type of jab I needed(not to do with not being able to swallow lol) and I remember I said to the doctor I could not swallow and he said it was because I was really anxious

When you're relaxed the swallow reflex doesn't kick in much. It doesn't when you sleep either...which is why people can wake up drooling! When anxious or scared your mouth becomes quite dry so forcing the swallow reflex is difficult, especially more than once.

The more you focus on swallowing the more you will perceive you can't do it automatically....like breathing and blinking

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information