Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cat scratch and puncture wound worried sick!

Cat scratch and puncture wound worried sick!

So last night my cat was falling off the balcony so I ran and helped her up and she scratched my finger leaving a quite deep wound and she also left a puncture wound next to the scratch. I washed with water and soap, put some hand disinfectant on it (didn't have antiseptic or anything at home unfortunately) and then put a band-aid on it. I woke up today and looked at the wound which still looked fresh. I am worried about tetanus since my cat goes outdoors and I haven't had a shot since I was a kid and I am 28 years old now. I called the medical advice and talked to a nurse and told her about what happened and my concerns about tetanus but she told me to only keep an eye on the wound if it starts getting red/swollen I.e. infected. But if there's a risk of tetanus then aren't you supposed to get a tetanus shot asap and not wait and see if the wound gets infected? I am insanely worried and don't know what to do?? I have been worrying and crying all day.

Re: Cat scratch and puncture wound worried sick!

I think if you washed it right away you will be fine. You flushed any potential pathogens before they had a chance to get into your system. Keep it covered and it should scab up in a couple days. Like the nurse said... if it gets swollen or doesn't start healing on it's own you should be seen by a dr. Cat scratches are incredibly common. I grew up in a house where we rescued cats (all outdoor) and I got lots of scratches, bites, etc. The nurse must think your risk of tetanus from something like this is extremely low or she would have suggested the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by emmegee View Post
    I think if you washed it right away you will be fine. You flushed any potential pathogens before they had a chance to get into your system. Keep it covered and it should scab up in a couple days. Like the nurse said... if it gets swollen or doesn't start healing on it's own you should be seen by a dr. Cat scratches are incredibly common. I grew up in a house where we rescued cats (all outdoor) and I got lots of scratches, bites, etc. The nurse must think your risk of tetanus from something like this is extremely low or she would have suggested the shot.
    Everything I've googled says that you should get a tetanus shot. I live near woods/nature so my cat tends to come home with soiled feet. I keep doubting the nurses judgement since it was through the phone and she didn't see the actual state of the wound. Plus they tend to make mistakes there, they've given wrong advice that has cost people their lives (it's not a common occurrence but my worried mind thinks it could happen to me). It is, however, reassuring to hear that you've been scratched without anything happening to you, have you had an up to date tetanus shot when you were scratched though? I've been scratched several times by my cat as well but never this deep. It's the state of the wound that concerns me, you can see the white tissue/flesh. :((

Why not hop to the doctor for a quick tetanus shot tomorrow? You're Swedish, you have free healthcare, don't you? You'll be done in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by NotCool View Post
    Why not hop to the doctor for a quick tetanus shot tomorrow? You're Swedish, you have free healthcare, don't you? You'll be done in no time.
    We do, but it will have passed 24 hours from the injury by tomorrow. Is that okay or is it too late? Isn't there a specific time frame from when the injury occurred to when you're supposed to get the tetanus shot?

Tetanus shots last for 10 year so if you have had one in the past 10 years you are covered.

But you have cleaned it and covered it so it will be fine without, I have had many many cat scratches in my life and I haven't had tetanus yet.

Just head to the drs IF it shows any sign of infection.....being really red, really painful (not just sore as it has been scratched) and puss coming out of the wound.

I don't think it warrants a drs trip, just keep it clean and it will heal.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Quote Originally Posted by venusbluejeans View Post
    Tetanus shots last for 10 year so if you have had one in the past 10 years you are covered.

But you have cleaned it and covered it so it will be fine without, I have had many many cat scratches in my life and I haven't had tetanus yet.

Just head to the drs IF it shows any sign of infection.....being really red, really painful (not just sore as it has been scratched) and puss coming out of the wound.

I don't think it warrants a drs trip, just keep it clean and it will heal.
    First off, thank you so much for putting time aside to reply. I really appreciate it as I am almost panicking over here.

I have not had a tetanus shot in the past 10 years and that's what really worries me. I have been scratched by my cat on several occasions before but never this deep. You can see the white flesh/tissue. The wound is obviously red but I think that's normal, but no swelling or pus as of yet. I am mostly worried about tetanus and as the hours go by I keep wondering if I should go get a shot before it's too late.

You say you've had many cat scratches, did you get deep scratches? Did you have an up-to-date tetanus when you were scratched?

yep plenty of deep scratches when playing with my cat...... Tetanus, I am not sure about... I know when I had my latest tetanus shot they said that I was well over due for one so I would say no not an up to date tetanus.

Also I trod on a rusty nail that went straight through my shoe and into the bottom of my foot, I just cleaned that and put a plaster on it.

I got a pencil lead literally stuck in my heel (don't ask lol) and had to tweezer the lead out like a splinter.

When I was younger I walked into a big bit of rusty corrugated metal and sliced my knee open on it.

why am I telling you all of this??
    1. because I am stupidly accident prone
    2. I have done all of this and have never had tetanus, one of the incidents was bound to be when my Tetanus wasn't up to date.

In this case I would say just keep an eye on it.

I would also get yourself a tetanus shot....... not because I think you need it in this instant. just because it would give you peace of mind in times like this,

Quote Originally Posted by venusbluejeans View Post
    yep plenty of deep scratches when playing with my cat...... Tetanus, I am not sure about... I know when I had my latest tetanus shot they said that I was well over due for one so I would say no not an up to date tetanus.

Also I trod on a rusty nail that went straight through my shoe and into the bottom of my foot, I just cleaned that and put a plaster on it.

I got a pencil lead literally stuck in my heel (don't ask lol) and had to tweezer the lead out like a splinter.

When I was younger I walked into a big bit of rusty corrugated metal and sliced my knee open on it.

why am I telling you all of this??
    1. because I am stupidly accident prone
    2. I have done all of this and have never had tetanus, one of the incidents was bound to be when my Tetanus wasn't up to date.

In this case I would say just keep an eye on it.

I would also get yourself a tetanus shot....... not because I think you need it in this instant. just because it would give you peace of mind in times like this,
    So I shouldn't rush to the doctor and get one asap? I keep panicking whenever I look at my deep puncture wound under the bandage. It's comforting to know that you didn't get tetanus despite your shot not being up to date. I just keep thinking about how my cat comes home with soiled paws every day -> look at how deep my wound is -> think I'm going to get tetanus since i haven't had a tetanus shot well over 15 years at least -> panic/anxiety!

Once again, thanks for taking time to reply. I really appreciate it.

I would say no don't rush asap.... keep it clean and if it starts to show any signs of infection then then head to the drs...

Make a routine appointment to have a tetanus jab, so you have peace of mind...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information