Thread: Rib Pain, Gas, Yellow Stool - Do I Have IBS?

Rib Pain, Gas, Yellow Stool - Do I Have IBS?

Over the past two weeks, I've been having weird digestive symptoms that have driven me to tears.

First, I had a cramp-like pain in my lower abdomen and pelvis that I thought was ovarian cancer. An ultrasound determined that was a lie. (Ha!)

Not a day after the relief of the ultrasound, I started having tenderness and pain in my left ribs, especially in the center and along the bottom. I also had twinges in my lower left pelvis and various rumblings, grumblings and pressure that seemed like gas. Of course, my first thoughts are pancreatic and colon cancer, but I was also constipated, so I (over)medicated myself with magnesium citrate, Gas-X, ibuprofen, and Flexeril.

I went to the bathroom (a lot) and some alcohol on Saturday night relieved my symptoms, so I figured all was well.

Yesterday, I woke up and had a bowel movement that looked normal (light brown with a yellowish tinge) but was bright yellow when I wiped. My last two bowel movements have been like this, as well.

I'm also back to feeling the left rib pain, lower left pelvic twinges, and gas-type pain, plus aches in both shoulder blades and some twinges in my right ribs, too.

I'm terrified that I'm full of pancreatic cancer, even though I'm only 32 and I had an ultrasound about 4-5 years ago for another (real) ailment that showed a perfectly healthy pancreas and liver.

Anyone else with issues like this?

TL;DR: Digestive symptoms make me think I'm dying of pancreatic cancer. Is it possible I have IBS or have anxiety-related issues?

Re: Rib Pain, Gas, Yellow Stool - Do I Have IBS?

Angelica,

I am going through almost exactly what you are going through. I have been having this for about two months, and it has only continued to get worse (especially after Thanksgiving and this weekend). I too last night medicated with antacids, ibuprofen and some wine. I fall asleep fine with no pains, but as soon as I wake up.. BAM. It's all there.

I am currently a nanny and I have found myself making insane excuses to have the child brought to my house or sometimes I will not show. The IBS is making me agoraphobic especially when I have diarrhea for fear of pooping my pants at their house. Today I am going to go to the doctor (again) to have them take my blood to make sure I do not have colon or pancreatic cancer. The last time I was there (Nov. 14), they said my pancreas area was tender but could be related to my GERD.

UGH. I will let you know what happens, and I am curious to see if you have had any answers since you last posted.

similar symptoms here too-did your doctor give you any answers

Similar symptoms here, too! Headed to doctor on January 2.

I’m glad to hear I’m not alone! I’ve been to multiple doctors since I posted. Labs and an abdominal/pelvic CT came back clear, but I still have pain, plus nausea and a crappy appetite. Worries moved from pancreatic and stomach cancer to colon cancer. Gas-X seems to help the pain, while Prilosec works pretty well for the nausea. My GI thinks it’s something like a functional dyspepsia (from anxiety, of course), but I’m still worried and wondering if I should ask for a colonoscopy. Curious to know if any of you have gotten any answers yet.

Not yet! Trying to hang in there. Not so easy, though.

Hey, everyone. Just a quick update for those with similar symptoms to mine to let you know how I'm getting on.

It looks like I've successfully treated all of my symptoms without another doctor visit or test (a big step for me!). Prilosec got rid of the nausea and reflux. I tried a probiotic and that quickly brought my stools back to normal in both color and consistency - I ended up super irregular after this all started. I'm not sure if the probiotic or my new SSRI helped me get my appetite back, but I'm hungry again. And the pain in my left ribs, oddly enough, seems to be linked to trigger points in and around my left hip, so the pain is entirely or mostly muscular.

I hope you're all getting on well and that this post reassures you that these symptoms can be (and usually are) annoying but benign and treatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelica Schuyler View Post
    Hey, everyone. Just a quick update for those with similar symptoms to mine to let you know how I'm getting on.

It looks like I've successfully treated all of my symptoms without another doctor visit or test (a big step for me!). Prilosec got rid of the nausea and reflux. I tried a probiotic and that quickly brought my stools back to normal in both color and consistency - I ended up super irregular after this all started. I'm not sure if the probiotic or my new SSRI helped me get my appetite back, but I'm hungry again. And the pain in my left ribs, oddly enough, seems to be linked to trigger points in and around my left hip, so the pain is entirely or mostly muscular.

I hope you're all getting on well and that this post reassures you that these symptoms can be (and usually are) annoying but benign and treatable.
    Thank you for the update! That's all very helpful, and I'm really happy for you!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

im having different shades of yellow, and a mix, half brown and normal the other yellow. mainly dark shades of yellow. internet say is normal, and also says not normal. 50/50. .-. and most of it is baby stuff.

Thread Information