Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bpd i am i alone in this

Bpd i am i alone in this

I letter came through my door today 5 days after discharge from the hospital. Suddenly a psychologist and a shrink now say i have EUPD after years of telling me i am BIPOLAR ????????? no wonder the meds never worked there isnt any that really work fo EUPD . I am still struggling to get my loz back on track after there hap hazard med time schedules. ( EMOTIONALLY UNSTABLE PERSONALITY DISORDER) It never rains but it poors , thank you god you are a real kick in the balls .

Re: Bpd i am i alone in this

I think you need to ask the team as to why they have changed your diagnosis after so many years? Also why has your nurse Sally never questioned the bipolar diagnosis despite seeing you so frequently?

I know it depends on which psychiatrist you see as to what diagnosis you get but you must be confused and frustrated.

It is an odd way to find out a change in diagnosis... I would definitely follow up with your providers. Medications don't cure personality disorders, but they can help with some of the symptoms. But even if medications don't provide relief, there are models of therapy proven to work such as DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy). Is that available to you? DBT is helpful for personality disorders, as well as bipolar disorder so it wouldn't hurt either way to look into it.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I think you need to ask the team as to why they have changed your diagnosis after so many years? Also why has your nurse Sally never questioned the bipolar diagnosis despite seeing you so frequently?

I know it depends on which psychiatrist you see as to what diagnosis you get but you must be confused and frustrated.
    I think the answer to that lies in the fact that we nearly lost Brian and his MHT screwed up so badly in its duty of care. I find this diagnosis convenient and questionable at best.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Is it possible to get a second opinion? Even privately? Both conditions can be treated but the treatment is different so you need an accurate diagnosis. I'm sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time.

Brian, from what I know of you, BPD/EUPD makes more sense to me than bipolar, but I don’t have a license. And as SWgirl says, meds will only help with the symptoms. Therapy can help you learn to live with it and manage it, as with any other chronic condition, but like all things, the more you put into it, the more you’ll get out of it, provided you have an experienced, competent therapist.

I think I would be pretty angry about this too, Brian. So, have a rant and get it out of your system. Sending someone a diagnosis for something like this just annoys me. It's lazy and uncaring. What next, a text message or WhatsApp? "You got EUPD OMG LOL" Imagine if they did that with somethig like a cancer diagnosis? Front page of every big chip paper and national outrage.

Years & years, loads of meds and now they change their minds on your diagnosis twice in a matter of weeks. I agree with the above about following this up because they are making quite different conclusions and it does make you wonder who is right.

EUPD, like all PD's, can be treated with CBT (yes, I know you are throwing a mug of tea at me right now...CBT seems to get trawled out for just about anything!) but DBT is a later version of CBT created specifically for PD's. It is offered so hopefully they can give you this. There is another called Schema Therapy which looks good too but it's much newer than DBT (DBT adds on coping with the emotions) so resources might be scarce over here outside the private sector. The NHS also use therapeutic groups specifically for PD sufferers where peer support runs the sessions & enforces the rules (hands off therapy approach) and there are plenty of these around the country now.

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    I think the answer to that lies in the fact that we nearly lost Brian and his MHT screwed up so badly in its duty of care. I find this diagnosis convenient and questionable at best.
    I agree. It is a convenient diagnosis. The most important thing is that you get the appropriate and correct level of support. I know you are very angry but it may be worth your while to see what they can offer in terms of treatment/therapy?

The problem is when i overdosed i was taken out of my care in the community care and handed tempory to the mental health older patient ward, i was put in there against my will but i would have been sectioned if i kicked off because i had TRIED TO TAKE MY OWN LIFE. I was forced to stay 3 weeks and im sure i have PTSD just living with strange life forms , some patient are cool and others are not///// people who have been on a psych ward will no what i mean. i kept my head in bed near on 24-7 to keep out the way and only had 1 -20 minute talk to there psychologist and then she must off spoken to the shrink and made there mind up i had an emotionally unstable personality disorder just like that???????? and no meds would help the condition has i had been on most in my life. I HAVE i admit but some of them worked for some time. i remember not using the hospital for 10 years , and going through my gp we had many successes with SSRIS through the years , sadly they ran there course. But theses freaks SAY i am wasting my time trying to find a med that will work . yet i did have years ago . surely if i had EUPD has they say they would never have worked, I am back home now with my community team but i dont see the shrink till 1 week tomorrow, i have has a psychologist round and she has taken me on. i asked her about the EUPD theory and she said i treat people not labels:: thats a good answer. but i feel like shit really bad with anxiety what if my shrink says the hospital is right and i do have EUPD i dont think i can carry this fight on much longer ,i need months to get my strength back i have no fight left in me

Don’t look at the whole mountain at once; it’s too overwhelming. Just concentrate on the next hour or the day... What can you do tonight before bed? Breathe. Try writing your thoughts down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information