Thread: New UK member. Anxiety and depression. 4 weeks into citalopram. Need some Hope!

New UK member. Anxiety and depression. 4 weeks into citalopram. Need some Hope!

Hi all,

I have visiting this website for some time and think it's great but this is my first post. I have suffered from anxiety since a teenager and although I can normally function the bouts of anxiety in the last few years have become more frequent and last longer. I'm 40 years old and have had a lot going on in life. In September after taking two courses of antibiotics I suffered from terrible anxiety which didn't clear up and ended in me suffering from depression. I started taking 10mg of Citalopram 4 weeks ago and then increased to 20mg a week ago. The first 2 weeks on 10mg where terrible and I got worse initially and very depressed. 4 days into taking 20mg I felt real improvement in anxiety and depression and was going out more and also working relatively well. Now the last 2 days I have had no energy, I feel anxious and feel down again. I know I'm only on the 2nd week of the higher dose but I feel like I will never get better. I have zero motivation and am just getting by working from my bed. I am hoping this is just side effects and that things will improve but I'm terrified they won't. I just need some hope. Thanks all.

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya KennethS and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: New UK member. Anxiety and depression. 4 weeks into citalopram. Need some Hope!

Hi there

20mg is a therapeutic dose so you should see some improvement over the next 4 to 6 weeks. 10mg is the initial dose given to you so your body can slowly adjust to the drug. Citalopram tend to make things worse before they get better. Hang in there if you ride it out (easier said than done) for a few more weeks you will find relief. Currently enduring the process myself but know from past experience it will pass

Re: New UK member. Anxiety and depression. 4 weeks into citalopram. Need some Hope!

Thank you Jembec. I really appreciate you taking the time to post. It's good to get some hope!

Thread Information