Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rabies- My cheese is sliding

Re: Rabies- My cheese is sliding

I’ve had the rabies vaccine and it is painful and stressful.

The “post exposure” vaccine series consists of 6 injections on the first day, followed by 3 more boosters. The first 6 includes the immunoglobulin injection which is injected multiple times in a circle around the area of the bite. The remaining 5 injections go into both arms and both buttcheeks.

My “exposure” site was in my hand. It swelled up immediately after the immunoglobulin injection and stayed that way for 2 days. Every time I went back for the boosters I felt sick for 2-3 days after. The booster shots are spread out over 14 days or 28 days depending on which version of the vaccine is used.

And it was all for nothing after all of it, because the cat that triggered me pursuing the vaccine ended up not having rabies. It was just my HA acting up.

Sorry for being so graphic but I think you should be aware of what your daughter will be going through should you decide to pursue the post exposure vaccine. The pre-exposure vaccine doesn’t include the immunoglobulin injection but I imagine it is just as stressful and painful. It is also multiple injections spread over weeks.

There is virtually no possibility of your daughter having been bitten by a bat. She would have reacted more. She would have cried or screamed. The marks wouldn’t have wiped off.

I hope I don’t sound judgmental or preachy here. That is truly not my intention. I just want to encourage you to tread carefully here. Don’t subject her to something that’s not truly necessary. Because the vaccination is traumatic. It’s a drawn out process. It’s not a one shot and it’s over deal.

Whatever you decide, I wish you and your daughter the best.
    Last edited by au Lait; 18-11-17 at 06:33.

Quote Originally Posted by au Lait View Post
    I’ve had the rabies vaccine and it is painful and stressful.

The “post exposure” vaccine series consists of 6 injections on the first day, followed by 3 more boosters. The first 6 includes the immunoglobulin injection which is injected multiple times in a circle around the area of the bite. The remaining 5 injections go into both arms and both buttcheeks.

My “exposure” site was in my hand. It swelled up immediately after the immunoglobulin injection and stayed that way for 2 days. Every time I went back for the boosters I felt sick for 2-3 days after. The booster shots are spread out over 14 days or 28 days depending on which version of the vaccine is used.

And it was all for nothing after all of it, because the cat that triggered me pursuing the vaccine ended up not having rabies. It was just my HA acting up.

Sorry for being so graphic but I think you should be aware of what your daughter will be going through should you decide to pursue the post exposure vaccine. The pre-exposure vaccine doesn’t include the immunoglobulin injection but I imagine it is just as stressful and painful. It is also multiple injections spread over weeks.

There is virtually no possibility of your daughter having been bitten by a bat. She would have reacted more. She would have cried or screamed. The marks wouldn’t have wiped off.

I hope I don’t sound judgmental or preachy here. That is truly not my intention. I just want to encourage you to tread carefully here. Don’t subject her to something that’s not truly necessary. Because the vaccination is traumatic. It’s a drawn out process. It’s not a one shot and it’s over deal.

Whatever you decide, I wish you and your daughter the best.
    ^ That's very useful in my opinion. That's a lot to go through.

Thank you, au lait.

I called the ER yesterday and talked it through and decided not to pursue the vax. I still don't know what was going on on her nose, but I am letting it go. I am seeing everything more clearly today. OCD is a bitch.

That's great to hear!

When anxiety levels are high it's very hard to rationalise these thoughts as it feels like nothing works. Sometimes coming at it from another angle reduces the intensity, such as working on relaxation or getting exercise or using distraction. They can help with the adrenaline & racing thoughts which seem impossible to stop at the time.

I hope you find your way through this current spike soon.

Terry, you are right. It is definitely important not to impose on other people. It might not seem like it after yesterday, but I deliberately set limits on myself with medical treatment, I don't push for tests, and only do things that are medically indicated. It would have been easy for me to lie and say I saw a bat in her room but, even yesterday at my worst and most desperate, I knew I couldn't do that. So....I have put this to bed mostly. The one thing I want to do is have a company come out and wildlife proof our home (because we actually do have animals (mostly mice I think) come in from time to time, given that I live in a wooded area). But other than that, we will just live our lives and I am sure the next time she gets sick I will worry a lot!!! Thanks for coming back to argue that POV. I very much share it. It can be a struggle sometimes, but yes, very important not to negatively harm others with the crazy.

p.s. I just came back to this thread today, so reading backwards. I just saw your latest post, Thanks again for all the support. I usually do like to take long walks in nature when I'm going through this stuff, but it's raining like crazy today. I think I will be ok, though!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information