Thread: Starting Citlopram

Starting Citlopram

Hello All,
    I am new to this forum and am needing some help/advice. I have had anxiety and depression problems for years. I have been on and off several different medications over the last 13 years. I have not taken anything for the last few years and have been coping fine until a few months ago. I started having anxiety problems which led to a flare up of depression. I won't go into the whole process but it has been a difficult few months. My pdoc and I decided I would start taking citlopram (generic of celexa). She started me at 5 mg for a week, then 10 mg for a week, then 20 mg for a week. I am currently on day 9. I did 5 mg for 6 days and 10 mg for 2 days. She also prescribed me diazepam to take as needed for anxiety until the citlopram kicks in. I have suffered many side effects over the last 9 days. Most were there before I started though. I have major insomnia, no appetite, brain fog. I generally don't have a problem falling asleep but I wake up between 2:30 and 3:30 with severe anxiety and floods of adrenaline. I find it hard to get out of bed and the anxiety doesn't really get any better throughout the day until night time. I am generally relaxed in the evenings but get no relief during the day. I am trying to not take the diazepam very often as I don't want to build too much of a tolerance but I am finding it hard not to. Is this normal? Is it normal to have this much of an increase in anxiety? How log before I will get some peace? I feel like I have gone from a successful, bubbly, happy person to almost agoraphobic in 2 months. I don't enjoy anything I used to and feel like i am just making it through the days. I want my old self back. I need myself back for my kids, my husband, and my job.
    Any advice, opinions, similar stories? I have read that it can get worse before it gets better but I need some reassurance this is going to get better.

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya longhorn and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Thread Information