Thread: Bowel/Colon Cancer? IBS?

Bowel/Colon Cancer? IBS?

So, I find myself posting on here again (sorry).

I’m a 26 year old male from UK - No Previous Health Conditions, no Family history of bowel/colon cancer.

As stated in my previous posts I’ve had quite a month and I still (with reassurance from doctors) can’t shake this fear I have.

3 weeks ago, I noticed a change in my bowel habits which has been consistent for the whole 3 weeks now. My Bowel habits changed - I now go for vowel movements literally 10/15 minutes after waking up and then again 2/3 times within the space of an hour or two.. my stools vary between formed and then small ‘flat’ chunks which are easy to pass - not diarrhea but looser than a formed stool.

This happens mostly every day but occasionally it will be just the one movement in the morning..

I will then maybe go once for the rest of the day, normally a small amount accompanied by a feeling of ‘constipation’ - I recently cut out a lot of fizzy drinks from my diet due to another health scare and have also cut back on a lot of other foods - this was before this issue started and I did lose 6lbs over a 3 week period due to this. However, since the bowel issues started I’ve stayed between the 13st 11 - 14st mark.

I do get occasional lower abdomen pain right above pelvic area, quite dull - more uncomfortable then painful I’d say. I don’t seem to have bloating or its not noticeable to me anyways. I do have a lot of gas and flatulence/Burping.

My appetite is still good, I eat more than I should sometimes!

I have been to the GP 3 times in regards to this issue; and have had bloods done which came back perfect bar it showed an infection - at a 10 (when normal is 8) they put this down to me having a chest cough/cold at time of bloods.

I then contacted GP again, who diagnosed me with severe anxiety (mainly health) and reassured me I did NOT have this cancer. She said my age was. My favour and with no family history it would be indefinitely rare. In regards to my Bowel issues she said it sounds like IBS and gave me that diagnosis along with anxiety. She prescribed me Sertraline for anxiety and didn’t really say much more.

5th day of Sertraline now and even though she told me it would heighten my anxiety in this period I’m still convinced I have bowel/colon cancer! ��

I did have minor bleeding when wiping, which has since cleared after using germoloids and Toilet Wipes - I haven’t had ANY blood since either (which is a good sign)

The main symptom that’s worrying me is the change in bowel movements and flat stools..

I’m displaying minor abdominal pain (could be due to IBS)

No other red flags - stool colour is normal, no anemia, no fatigue, no weight loss etc.

I also have lower back pain (above coccyx) and extremely frequent urination - also I have passed Just mucus a couple of times.

Am I being too worried over this? Should I take my doctors word as good?

Been an absolute mess as of late and can’t seem to unconvince myself that there’s nothing sinister going on, bar IBS and Anxiety.

Any advice/help would be massively appreciated
    Last edited by JayWright91; 21-11-17 at 12:49. Reason: Missed symptom

Re: Bowel/Colon Cancer? IBS?

Hi Jay,

I'm so sorry you're feeling like this, I completely understand as it's one of my current HA issues.

As you know we're not doctors on here but from what you describe, it really does sound like IBS. As you say yourself (and your doctor has pointed out), there are certainly no red flags in your symptoms (even though they do sound uncomfortable and irritating).

The worst thing with all this is the vicious cycle it creates of course. We get symptoms, we get anxiety, our symptoms worsen because of anxiety, especially where stomach stuff is concerned (I know, this happens to me).

I don't know much about the drugs you have been put on but I've read often that it takes a while to kick in and sometimes it feels worse before it feels better. I know it's easier said than done but try to hang in there and wait for things to start working. Always be careful with your diet and maybe make a note of any "trigger foods". Eat lots of fruit and veg and drink lots of water. Other than that, do you have any means to get outside or maybe do some exercise? Even something light? I find when I am able to get to the gym or a dance class, it works wonders on my anxiety.

I hope you feel better.
    Sx

Re: Bowel/Colon Cancer? IBS?

Quote Originally Posted by samina77 View Post
    Hi Jay,

I'm so sorry you're feeling like this, I completely understand as it's one of my current HA issues.

As you know we're not doctors on here but from what you describe, it really does sound like IBS. As you say yourself (and your doctor has pointed out), there are certainly no red flags in your symptoms (even though they do sound uncomfortable and irritating).

The worst thing with all this is the vicious cycle it creates of course. We get symptoms, we get anxiety, our symptoms worsen because of anxiety, especially where stomach stuff is concerned (I know, this happens to me).

I don't know much about the drugs you have been put on but I've read often that it takes a while to kick in and sometimes it feels worse before it feels better. I know it's easier said than done but try to hang in there and wait for things to start working. Always be careful with your diet and maybe make a note of any "trigger foods". Eat lots of fruit and veg and drink lots of water. Other than that, do you have any means to get outside or maybe do some exercise? Even something light? I find when I am able to get to the gym or a dance class, it works wonders on my anxiety.

I hope you feel better.
    Sx
    Hi,

Ah, I’m sorry to hear you too are suffering from this too! Do you have many similar symptoms?

Yes, friends, doctors and people on here have said it sounds like IBS - well doctors have said it’s IBS. Just as it’s new to me and with HA - I automatically assumed the worst - Bowel/Colon Cancer :/ - Yes, the red flags I believe are; Black/Tarry Stools, Bloody a Stools, Anemia and Unexplained Significant Weight Loss..

Yeah they play off one another making both worse :/ - Yeah doctors said that it would get worse before it got better and I’m only day 6 also of tablets so still got a while before should feel any better! :/

Doctors advised me to do the food diary thing too! something I’m gonna have to do! Yeah I need to start excercising more as it should help!

ThankYou really appreciate it!

Hope you are well?

Thread Information