Thread: Long term celexa use

Long term celexa use

I’ve been on Celexa about 7 months. I don’t have any serious side effects and my anxiety has lessened.

I can’t find any good research on Celexa long term use. Most things I have found say that it is generally safe or that it is unclear. I did read that it may increase risk for Parkinson’s, but I’m not sure how substantiated it is.

My doc wants me to stay on for a year before thinking about tapering off. If there are serious negative effects then what is the benefit of quitting? Does anyone have any good info in the long term effects of Celexa?

Re: Long term celexa use

My mom is been on it 20years.i have a friend 16years.me 17months and counting.i don't get why people get on it feel good.then get off of it .only to get back on.

Re: Long term celexa use

Quote Originally Posted by Scotttt View Post
    I’ve been on Celexa about 7 months. I don’t have any serious side effects and my anxiety has lessened.

I can’t find any good research on Celexa long term use. Most things I have found say that it is generally safe or that it is unclear. I did read that it may increase risk for Parkinson’s, but I’m not sure how substantiated it is.

My doc wants me to stay on for a year before thinking about tapering off. If there are serious negative effects then what is the benefit of quitting? Does anyone have any good info in the long term effects of Celexa?
    The only benefits I can think of:

- You're not forced to take a pill everyday at about the same time [mainly an inconvenience]
    - You don't have to go through dosage changes [if your current dose poops out] or need to switch to a different SSRI [and thus having to go through side effects again]
    - You don't have to worry about drug interactions

As for long term use - there is a lot of information at survivingantidepressants.org of people who've been taking SSRI's long term and are trying to taper off the med - some with success and some without success.

Thread Information