Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High blood pressure

Unhappy High blood pressure

Hi There
    I am so worried-been told today that blood pressure is very high-got to have another check next week-however does constant panic etc cause thsi? Anyone else here have high blood pressure-is so how treated?
    I was feeling quite calm too-so in the past when feeling panicky when done-it should ahve been high then? and it wasn't
    Nigela x

Re: High blood pressure

I have low blood pressure but I do know that lifestyle can play a part in high blood pressure , but not always. Your doctor can give you some pills to help lower it if he feels its needed, also eating a healty diet with plenty of veg ,fruit and fish can help lower it.
    My husbands blood pressure goes thru the roof when a doctor takes it , so we have a meter at home and know hes ok usually, could this be happening to u ?

Hi Mirry
    i hope that is what it is-so it goes up alot? What typre of monitor do you have at home?
    Nigela x

Hi Nigela

You may have white coat syndrome (like Mirry's husband) which just means your BP rises when at the GP's, giving an unaturally high reading.

Did they give you the numbers?

They won't diagnose high BP on just one reading. By nature, BP will rise and fall depending on mood, physical activity or after meals.

I have a BP monitor, I bought it after having high readings at the surgery, but at home my readings are usually below 140/90 (the threshold) but I can see 162/92 if tense.

Don't be alarmed by high BP, nowadays it can be easily controlled.

If its only marginally high, a GP may recommend the following:

If you smoke, give up
    If a little over-weight, try and shed a few pounds (god forbid I wouldn't suggest you are, I might be mental but I ain't crazy enough to comment on a woman's weight, I like my teeth where they are)
    Be more active
    Cut down on alcohol
    Cut right down on salt/sodium

And above all, don't panic about it it can be easily controlled.

TC Jaco

Hi Nigela

Not sure if you have had your BP taken at the doctors, but when i have mine taken at the gps its always sky high its my anxiety that causes it.

I have white Coat Syndrome too.

Hugs

Andrea
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by nigela View Post
    Hi There
    I am so worried-been told today that blood pressure is very high-got to have another check next week-however does constant panic etc cause thsi? Anyone else here have high blood pressure-is so how treated?
    I was feeling quite calm too-so in the past when feeling panicky when done-it should ahve been high then? and it wasn't
    Nigela x
    I have been treated for high bp for about 6 weeks since I had a health scare (very high bp and panic I thought I was having a heart attack ending up with me in an ambulance).

I was started on 2.5 mg lisinaprol then 5 now 10 the doc says 20 mg is the norm for high bp but they have to up it slowly. My bp lept up by 20 (points? I don't know how to say it) after my second big panic.

My treatment is basically the tablets daily, blood tests every 2 weeks (the tablets can affect your kidneys so they have to do blood tests) and bp checked then as well. I'm still panicing but I've had 2 ECGs so I just remind myself of that when I think something bad is happening.

Hi all
    thanks so much for your replies-my Husb thought that too-and went and got me a home monitor-it was normal! now of course think maybe that one is wrong!-but it just goes to show how far up it can go when stressed- I never realised-but we all say panic attacks cant harm us-but would they not if they keep sending our BP rate up so much!
    Yes a born worrier-thankgoodness for this group-I have got more help here than ever from my GP!
    Nigela x

I have high blood pressure and also white-coat syndrome so it is even higher at the GP's.

They did a 24-hour monitor and it was fine.

I am on medication for my high blood pressure though so it is controlled.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Nigela,

Im being monitored by my doctor, mines goes through the roof when I get mines taken however the doc is convinced its anxiety that causes it, I definitly have white coat syndrome.

I have never had medication however I know if this keeps happening I may eventually need it.

You said you felt calm, I remember years(and years) ago when I was going through my pregnancys, the times I felt calm it was up and the times I was totally hyper it could be okay!!!!

Take care,

Shaz x x

Thanks Shaz Nicola and everyone for your advice-guess i ahd better go back? I ahve now got a monitor to use at home-digital -supposed to be good-isnt it a waste of time having it done at gps if it is going to go up as i get panicky every time? as you say even when you think you are calm-inside maybe not!
    Nigela x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information