Thread: What are my chances of getting a fingernail fungus from this?

What are my chances of getting a fingernail fungus from this?

I got my nails done last week and today I hit my nail against the spiral of my notebook and now my nail is partly broke down the middle and it hurts. I dont have a finger nail clipper with me because I only have ones for my toes because I usually just file my nails and I cant use my toenail clippers because I am treating a fungus down there. My bf said he would help me clip it to try to make it look normal over the weekend. But if I wait do I have a high change of getting fungus under there since part of my nail is raised. I want to just pull it off but that will hurt and possibly bleed and make my nail look bad. Im so busy this week and I dont have transportation to go buy a clipper unless I can find one on campus. Do you think Im ok waiting? I really don't want a fungus. And If I end up finding a clipper I dont know how to clip it right either its so messed up

Re: What are my chances of getting a fingernail fungus from this?

Probably pretty low. I’ve broken my nails pretty far down many times and never had a problem with fungus. If the nail is broken too far back to trim you can try a little bit of clear nail polish applied over the split to hold it together until it grows out enough to trim.

Re: What are my chances of getting a fingernail fungus from this?

You could always wash the clipper before you use it.

I think fingernail fungus is pretty rare - and also quite harmless if it does happen.

Funny story - about two years ago I was cleaning a trough on our farm. Something sharp got me under the nail, but I didn't think much of it. I finally went to see the doctor because it was kind of turning yellowish - I had something stuck under the nail. They removed it and tested it and it was e. Coli! Who knew that was even possible?

Moral of the story: fingernails can get some nasty things under them, but I'm still here and walking around
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thread Information