Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My Story - My Ven Journey

Re: My Story - My Ven Journey

Hi all
    Jem21, Interesting to read your experience as it closely matches my own; The increased anxiety, feeling jittery, and nausea were pretty bad for me at the start. I also had some depersonalisation, where I wasn't quite sure what I saw matched where I was or what I was doing. That was really odd, especially when in a meeting at work!
    I started about 6 months back and I'm currently on 187.5mg of ven and going up to 225mg tomorrow.
    For me, I was told to start on 75mg/day, but I quickly decided to drop down to 37.5mg when the side effects were too overwhelming. I spent a couple of weeks on 37.5mg before the side effects pretty much disappeared and then went up to 75mg. The step up wasn't pleasant, but mental side effects reduced within a week.
    Since then, I've been increasing by 37.5 every four weeks or so and the mental side effects are pretty much gone.
    For me, taking in the evening means highest concentration is whilst I'm sleeping, and much easier to cope during the day. Also, I find taking in the morning/afternoon means I feel a lot more nauseous when I try to eat. The nausea tends to be bad for a week after the increase, and then drops off.
    Only major side effect for me right now is sleep quality. I might get 7 hours sleep, but it feels like I've had about 3. Trying to move dose to morning now and take Promethazine (Sominex here in UK) in the evening, to see if that helps.
    Feeling 'some' improvement but expecting a lot more.
    You're doing well - it really does get easier!

Hi Domo thanks for the message, I'm finding that I still have anxiety during the day but I find it goes in the evening but I feel flat like I don't really want to talk or interact with anyone. I keep reminding myself I'm only a week into the 75mg dose. Due back to see my doc in another 2 weeks so I'll reassess then although she did say she thinks I'll need 150mg. You sound like you are doing well and not rushing things which is always good. Are you finding that they are helping?

Not seeing a massive difference so far, but I'm really not sure what to expect. Overall - I guess I've had fewer bouts of anxiety and depression, so I'm hoping an increase in dose, and giving it time for those doses to work, will do the trick.
    I've previously been on fluoxetine and mirtazipine. Both helped somewhat with anxiety, and I even had the rare day where I felt motivated (maybe that's what I'm striving for/expecting?), so I'm still hopeful.
    In my experience, you're probably at the hardest part of the journey right now - the bit where your brain is trying to adjust to whatever levers the ven is pulling so it can even out. For me, that initial shock takes 2-3 weeks to get over, then any increases are much less of a shock to the system.
    75mg is the recommended starting dose, so unless you feel better, I'm sure they'll want to increase. If you're worried, ask if the doc minds giving you some 75mg and some 37.5mg so you can try a 75+37.5/day for a week or two before going up to 150mg? My doc said I should do 37.5mg increase each time, but I've seen other people on here say they've at least doubled.

Hi Domo, well I'm pleased to be able to say I've felt totally normal tonight, I've been looking forward to Christmas, discussing going away next year on a few trips and no anxiety at all. Tonight has been the best I've felt in a long time!, I've been to my parents and help them decorate the tree and took the dog on a massive walk and I'm even still up after half 9 which hasn't happened for quite awhile. Today is day 9 on the 75mg dose so I'm really hoping this continues although I'm sure it won't be totally plain sailing as I've read that people can have blips along the way. Had a headache for the last 2 days and some nausea but still 2 weeks before I see the doc again so I hope I'm turning a corner. My doc is pretty clued up and won't let me increase more than the 37.5 at a time, she even started me that low for two weeks and said that dose wouldn't work but she didn't want me to go up to quickly. I'm happy on the 75mg for now and I'll see what the next couple of weeks bring. I really hope your new dose starts to help and you feel good soon.

Hi Jem, good to hear that you're feeling ok! I'm set to start Ven after Christmas. Hoping it will work well for me.

Great to hear you're feeling better. Even if it doesn't last (sorry to sound negative), just remember you need time to even out and you can definitely expect ups and downs during that period.
    Headaches were an issue for me too, but mainly at the beginning and nothing ibuprofen didn't sort out.
    You can probably get anti-nausea medication from the doctor if needed. I got something called buccastem (prochlorperazine) and only needed to take 2-3 a month when the nausea got bad. Again, it's mainly when you increase dose and lasts about 2 weeks. For me, it was only really when I ate, and maybe a couple of 5 minute bouts every other day.
    123abc, don't do what I did and read all the negative threads thinking that's how you'll be! The first 1-3 weeks (like most of these medications) can be overwhelming, but from what I've read and heard, this is one of the better for getting results.

Hi Domo and 123 well it didn't last, I had a great Wednesday night and also yesterday morning but I felt my mood dipping around lunchtime and then I got wound up and anxious. Yesterday evening wasn't that great either and I'm not sure how today will be. Keep reminding myself it's early days (day 11) and that the good evening and morning are what's coming when they level out properly. It's so frustrating though! I'm thinking the same things but it feels different when you're mood is better.
    Domo how are you doing? 123 I've read good things about ven so best of luck when you start.

Off to work now so I'll update soon.

No anxiety, but very low mood today. It's not that unexpected though as I only increased dose to 225mg a few days ago, so it's levelling out time.
    As you alluded to, it's difficult to see passed a low mood as your brain stops you from thinking about better times and being rational about why you feel like you do. The worst bit is I've not felt this low since getting past 75mg.
    I read somewhere that the way these drugs (and many other similar) work is to flood your brain with seretonin to the point it over-reacts and shuts off the seretonin intake valve completely, leaving you feeling low. Then, you adjust, the valve opens again, lets some/lots of seretonin through and you feel better. Then rinse and repeat until it stabilises - and that's your levelling out period. Assuming that's true, it makes sense that you often need to feel worse before you feel better, and I try to convince myself that's why I feel rubbish after the last increase.

Feeling a bit better since last post. Time with family has certainly been challenging, but a much calmer experience than previous years. Maybe we're all just getting to old to worry about the insignificant stuff.
    I guess 225mg/day without side effects is a good thing, but still worried I won't see anything like the improvement others report, and then have to start all over with a new drug.
    Hope everyone's doing well.

I went up to 300mg/day yesterday. Feeling a little jittery and a couple of moments of slight nausea, but otherwise all good.
    Feeling like I have a bit more energy and the anxiety is still a bit better than before I started.
    Now it's fingers crossed this will do the trick as it seems 375mg/day is the max.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information