Thread: Tomatoes and my stomach

Tomatoes and my stomach

Okay, so this isn't something that has me concerned at all. Just wanted to see if anyone has ever had the same issue or something similar.

Every time I eat anything with a tomato based sauce (pizza, spaghetti, etc) within a half hour I have the worst abdominal cramps and always end up with diarrhea, TMI I'm sure lol.

Has anyone else had this? Maybe not with the same food, but maybe the same symptoms? I googled and all I really found was possibly just a food intolerance. Funny food for my body not to tolerate!

Re: Tomatoes and my stomach

Tomatoes are acidic. Of course they can cause abdominal symptoms and reactions.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yes. Tomatoes are one of the things my doctor specifically mentioned as being very acidic and to be cut out of my diet because of GERD.

I knew that they were acidic, but I have never had a problem before with them. I guess our bodies can change whenever they want and decide they don't like certain things anymore lol

Both my husband and my father have trouble with tomato products. We find a tiny pinch of baking soda in things like soups and sauces helps quite a bit. It takes very little to reduce some of the acidity. But if you use too much it will make your sauce taste gross - so it really is just a tiny pinch.

You may want to also check that the cheese isn't a culprit too. Sometimes cheese laden things cause GI symptoms to flair up. A lower fat cheese may help - fat in large quantities is hard to digest. My husband - who has had his gall bladder out - has a really hard time digesting fat. I tend to get the gut muskies when I eat too much fat as well, so we try to stay on the low fat end of things where it doesn't make a huge difference to the meal.

Hope that helps!

I remember another member, I think it was shakey1961, who raised issues with tomatoes due to something in them that causes some irritation in the body. His threads are on the GAD board. He was eliminating foods and had a flare up that was caused by the tomato on a pizza.

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by EKB View Post
    You may want to also check that the cheese isn't a culprit too. Sometimes cheese laden things cause GI symptoms to flair up. A lower fat cheese may help - fat in large quantities is hard to digest.
    There is always probiotic cheese like Quark which is healthy. It's been a mainstay food in Germany for a long time. It can be hard to get outside mainland Europe but in the last few years it's got easier in the UK now that Arla are making & exporting one along with their milk varieties so maybe they have reached the US? It may taste odd at first but you soon get over that, its a bit like cottage cheese. Very low fat and high in protein compared to other forms of cheese.

Thank you all, I will check into all of that!

Thread Information