Thread: Sorry, this rabbit hole again..

Sorry, this rabbit hole again..

Hey all,

So I have an extreme ocd fear of rabies. I actually have not worried about rabies in a very long time (~a couple years). However, something happened a couple weeks ago that triggered my fear and honestly don't know why other than I have a ton of other stress I'm dealing with, but i need help making my mind realize this is not plausible.

Around 7 pm, so dark out, I was at a drive thru line and when i was leaving the parking lot, i drove past a cat who was hunched over by the small exit sign on the corner. I couldn't see him well but later that night my mind jumped to what if he's sick (couldnt see him too well to tell)? What if he was there the whole time and wandered over to my car and i didnt notice while my window was rolled down? And what if he left drool puddles around and it's on my car? And what if it somehow got on my hand or somewhere on me when I opened the door to get in, then i unknowingly infected myself through a cut or touching my eyes/mouth? I went to a store that was literally behind the drive thru right after that, so there wasn't my much time in between seeing the cat and getting out of the car, then back in again. I also had a water bottle leak a little in my purse(rationally, I think that's what it is but my mind asks what if it was from the cat), so I closed the cap better when I came back to my car...then later took a drink and thought what if the water was contaminated with the virus now that I fixed the cap, because if I had touched infected drool that got on my car somehow and its in the water? I know all these scenarios sound insane, but I need to hear a rational (at least rational about rabies) person tell me logically that I'll be ok.

Basically, if a "normal" person drove closely past this cat, they wouldn't think twice right? And wouldn't worry about the window being down the whole time?

As you can see, I'm in serious need of a normal meter check. I am certain I'm freaking about this because there is so much other stress I'm going through right now - spouse is deployed and I have two under two (one is special needs), I also have gastro issues I've been dealing with for a couple months that we're trying to figure out, among other things. I feel like I'm a wreck and my mind is just attaching to every little thing to worry about. But I need to get this irrational thought out of my mind quick and i don't have anyone who I can really talk about this to at the moment, so I'm desperate and need outside perspective. For additional reference, I'm in Florida at the moment.

Please help if you can, i really appreciate your time; thank you for reading.

Re: Sorry, this rabbit hole again..

It wqnt have rabies, but i understand your fear. Rabies is virtually non existent in the USA. I feel that way with other things. You know in your own mind that you are overthinking, but it doesnt make the fear feel any less. Its understable that you are going to be overstressed and overthinking when you have got so much going on. Looking after little ones is hard work. Do you have any family around that give you a break every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Panicless View Post
    It wqnt have rabies, but i understand your fear. Rabies is virtually non existent in the USA. I feel that way with other things. You know in your own mind that you are overthinking, but it doesnt make the fear feel any less. Its understable that you are going to be overstressed and overthinking when you have got so much going on. Looking after little ones is hard work. Do you have any family around that give you a break every now and then.
    Hi, thank you so much for replying! Yes it definitely feels completely irrational but I was struggling so bad to stop thinking about it. 😔 I feel like when I feel symptoms of my gastrointestinal issues going on it made me ruminate more on this irrational fear and I just start to question if it's something I actually should be concerned about! It helps to get perspective from others so I know my mind is trying to play tricks.

I was able to visit family recently and I'm staying with them now, they help sometimes with the kiddos so that is a bit of a break than back home. They don t understand the other things I'm going through, like the anxiety and stress about my health issues, which can be hard because I feel like I'm bothering them if I try to talk about it. 😕

Yeah i know exactly what you mean. Family can be sympathetic but without living it, its hard to get them to appreciate how helpless you can really feel.Thats why i really love this site, because no matter how silly your fears are there are people that understand exactly what you are going through

Hi It's very irrational thinking, and there's plenty of rabies threads on here all unfounded though. So here's what you do you go and get a appointment with your dr and ask for help in dealing with this irrational fear as it's clearly affecting you. I wish you well let us know how you get on please ATB

Thread Information