Thread: Citalopram journey and other interactions? Need help

Talking Citalopram journey and other interactions? Need help

First off let me say this forum had been amazing for me on my citalopram journey and everyone has been so nice and encouraging.
    I am coming up on 6 weeks on 20mg. First couple weeks were horrible. Panic attacks, rapid heart beat, sweating, diarrhea, muscle twitching, muscle pain, muscle tension, lost 10lbs the first 2 weeks. Basically you name the side effect, I had it.
    However, I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Side effects have been diminishing. Basically the only thing I am dealing with now is still some muscle pain and tension which is very annoying but its not as bad as it was. The citalopram also seems to be 'taking the edge off' of my anxiety, which is all i wanted.
    My question,
    1. I have basically cut out all other medications since i've been on this in fear of drug interactions besides Tylenol.
    I have seasonal allergies and was using Nasacort for the past couple years but stopped that as well since it is a steroid. I am going to call my doctor, but she is pretty useless when it comes to things like this. So has anyone used anything of the sort? Or Flonase and have been fine while using both?
    2. I can no longer tell if I am actually sick or if it just the Citalopram since im still in the early stages. I have been having a lot of post nasal drip. My wife also looked in my throat last night and my tonsils are red, one more then the other. The one that is more red i can feel is slightly swollen. One of the side effects of the medicine is 'flu-like symptoms'. Just wondering if anyone else had this or something similar? I also have some pressure in my ears. Not too terrible, but i can tell that its there. I've never had any of these symptoms before and i rarely ever 'get sick', can even remember the last time i was. I have no fever and feel great otherwise actually.
    Just dont want to waste my time going into the doctor if I am not ACTUALLY sick and this is another side effect. All input would be great. Sorry for the long post!

Re: Citalopram journey and other interactions? Need help

I have been on lexapro on and off many times, currently on it now. It is a similar medication. During that time, I don't think I had many issues with drug interactions. I have been on flonase and rhinocort at the same time, as well as allergy pills (benedryl, allegra, zyrtec, xyzal, etc). I don't think there are many interactions there. I think the main fear is with anything that can also increase your serotonin levels, like other antidepressants.

It's hard to know regarding the flu-like symptoms. I mean this time of year I always have post-nasal drip and a scratchy throat from dry air from the heat and fireplace. If you have a dust allergy, that could be worsened this time of year as well.

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

Yes the pressure in the ears and the flu like feelings are all common with the celexa.take care

Thank you so much Lulu!

I've been taking nasonex (a corticosteroid nasal spray) for sinusitis with citalopram for 8 weeks now, no side effects. I asked the pharmacist whether it was fine to take, he said yes.

Thread Information