Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonsil cancer - sure of it

Tonsil cancer - sure of it

I have a lump on my left tonsil that has been there around a month. My lymph nodes have ballooned up on that side and are painful. The inside of my ear hurts. I saw the doctor about two weeks ago and she said "it's a virus" told me to wait for it to go away and had me in the room for all of one minute. I don't trust doctors at all.

I'm so scared, I can't think what else it can be.

I don't smoke, apart from having a few social cigarettes rarely. I drink but only what I'd call normal for a young person. I had the hpv vaccine when I was 14 and was told I couldn't catch hpv. Yet I was recently diagnosed with it. What the hell.

I'm so scared this is tonsil cancer caused by hpv.

I've gone on a bunch of cancer forums where people are describing symptoms similar to me and they say they were fobbed off 100s of times before insisting to be seen and then they were diagnosed.

I don't know what to do with myself, I don't even see the point in going back to my doctor, all she's ever done is fob me off.

I can't find any other explanations on the internet besides cancer :( It says this type of cancer is rising rapidly in young people due to hpv infections.

I am completely beside myself.

This is what it looks like
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Tonsil cancer - sure of it

That looks like an abcess to me

You’re sick and your tonsil is swollen. That’s why she told you to go home.

You need to rest, drink lots of liquids and treat the symptoms with cold medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    You’re sick and your tonsil is swollen. That’s why she told you to go home.

You need to rest, drink lots of liquids and treat the symptoms with cold medicine.
    It's been like this for 6 weeks at least though

To me, that looks like swelling, not a solid mass. Can you upload a pic of the other one for comparison?
    Swollen tonsils are SO SO common. Tonsil cancer is not.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    To me, that looks like swelling, not a solid mass. Can you upload a pic of the other one for comparison?
    Swollen tonsils are SO SO common. Tonsil cancer is not.
    Here we go, see the weird nodule on the right (actually my left tonsil but obviously camera is back to front)

I guess I'll have to go back to the doctors, but she treats me like a lunatic, not once has she actually listened to my concerns, I think I'll have to try and see someone else
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello. It looks like your tonsil is swollen, so your doctor's advice is good I think. I had tonsillitis loads when I was younger and my tonsils are a gnarled mess and tend to get very inflamed whenever I have any sort of viral infection. If you saw my tonsils, you'd think there was something majorly wrong with me too because of how they look. There isn't, but we're both not doctors so don't know what we're looking for.

I would avoid cancer forums all together as it's just ramping up your HA. Also I'm sure you know this, but obviously never to post on them.

The HPV vaccine protects against some strains of hpv but not all. They wouldn't have told you that as you were 14 at the time (my daughter is 12 and getting hers soon, but I'm not going to tell her anything beyond that it protects her against cervical cancer).

You've jumped from being told you've got a virus to having cancer with no possibilities in between. Hopefully you can see this is just your HA taking hold and can rationalise your way out of it.

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

... they both look inflamed to me. Not in a way that's remotely worrying though beyond might be a nasty viral thing or tonsillitis way, if that helps at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ballerina View Post
    Here we go, see the weird nodule on the right (actually my left tonsil but obviously camera is back to front)

I guess I'll have to go back to the doctors, but she treats me like a lunatic, not once has she actually listened to my concerns, I think I'll have to try and see someone else
    is there not more than one doctor at your surgery?

Thank you everyone. I just don't know why there's that one little bit that sticks straight out that didn't used to be there! But I'm a little calmer after seeing your replies.
    Ugh I'm such a mess. I'm aware of how ridiculous I sound, my mum said "you have a tonsil infection like every other person."
    Her boyfriend is like "you're so selfish I've heard people with actual cancer complain less that you" and it's not complaining... it's reassurance seeking.
    I'm aware health anxiety is a selfish illness, but at the same time I didn't ask to have this disorder, a little kindness would go a long way.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Potter86 View Post
    is there not more than one doctor at your surgery?
    Yes, but they give you an appointment with 'your' doctor

Ok I can see the thing you are talking about but it doesn't look worrying- it looks like it's made of smooth healthy tonsil tissue. I really don't think it is anything to worry about. But you ARE worried and I think it is important you feel listened to.
    Ask to see a different doctor!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information