Thread: Our Benifits and Daughters first Job

Our Benifits and Daughters first Job

Hello

We are a little worried in that Im disabled and live with my wife and our daughter. She graduated University in July and now doing her masters all be it part time that is. But has managed to get a full time job in what she went to Uni for and starts in the new year. And we are so proud of her for doing so.

However like I said we are worried about the affects to our benifits because things are tight as it is. And what with the bills and food prices and also the amount of extra gas and electricity we are using due to these recent cold weather snaps its just getting worse and worse.
    Anyway I am on ESA as well as DLA and I am odviously waiting the change over to PIP but at the moment im on full mobility and low care. Now from what I can understand and what I have read and been told (By no one proffesional that is) That because we are on the care conponent of DLA Our rent benifit will stay as it is now and be unchanged?.
    But I cannot find out anything to do with ESA and if anything will be taken from our ESA or what. All we get in the ESA covers just me and my wife. We have had nothing for our daughter since she left 6th form school over 3-1/2 years ago. And since she has been back from Uni she has not claimed any benifits for herself as she was expecting to get a job sooner so she had been living on her savings and basicly with us.

So basicly we are trying to find out what affect it will have on our ESA benifit when she starts her full time job in the new year. So any help of advice would be greatfully recieved

Thank you all and best regards OS

Re: Our Benifits and Daughters first Job

Hey there,

From what I’ve experienced with other people, your daughters job won’t affect your benefits whatsoever in regards to your DLA etc as that is personal to you and no one can take that away from you. However I’m not sure about the rent situation, maybe you could give your local council a call? In past experience it’s orobably best to ring them as your first port of call as they will be able to tell you their rules and regulations local to you. I hope they don’t reduce anything for you as it wouldn’t make sense to me due to your benefit being personal to your health situation rather than your daughters, even if she does live with you they really shouldn’t expect her to pay the rent because she has a full time job. Best of luck and I hope it works out for you!

Thread Information