Thread: Recent Happenings

Recent Happenings

Hi Everyone..

I hope where ever you are reading this from you are in a moment of peace and feeling relaxed.. if you are stressed or anxious ( likely if you're here ) take a breath and know you're not alone.

With palpatations and anxiety and of course increased heart rate etc is anyone taking a beta blocker as a PRN or in moments of need?

I've had all the heart tests Ecgs, Stress Test etc.... and most recently a review from a Cardiologist and had an Echocardiogram (ultra sound of heart)... all which came back fine... I'm in my late 30s... active enough...normal BP (117/75 last check) and total cholesterol of 3.4..

In real moments of panic i breathe it out but GP said i can take half a beta blocker to de adrenalise me... wondering if anyone here does the same....

Most of the time i go for a walk or a bike ride or breathe it out...

Thanks for reading and best wishes to all...

Re: Recent Happenings

Maybe i should have posted this in the medication section...

Not a sufferer but have been around long enough to know that a low dose beta blocker helps keep the body's response to panic at bay.

I take a beta blocker along with a plethora of other meds for my physical issues and really haven't had any issues. Basically, a beta blocker puts a cap on how hard your heart will work. So when you panic, it will limit how fast your heart will beat in reaction to your panic. Putting a cap on that reaction helps stop the panic cycle in it's tracks.

Check out the medication section. There's a subsection on Propranolol (a common beta blocker).

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks mate.. yeah have Atenalol.... 25mg when needed... Ive had all the heart testd etc and all back fine but its taming the beast or mind to believe and move forward from it....

It had been a busy week and even with the excercise etc and meditation i needed a little extra help hust after posting this..... cheers for the reply.

I don't take a beta blocker but I am on an SSRI (Citalopram). Symptoms improve dramatically over a couple of weeks and start to improve more as time goes on. If I stop taking them (which I have for the past 3 days due to leaving them at my moms) I get worse and the ectopics and panic haunt me.

I have been offered BB's but I choose not to take them. Are you on an SSRI?

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

Ps. All you have to remember is "I've been checked out, I am fine".

I am sat in hospital right now with horrible ectopics after eating a sandwich. I'm not an patient, I'm sitting with my stepdad who has a procedure today. The old me would be freaking out right now and probably running to the nurses screaming "help me I'm dying". The new me isn't bothered by them anymore.

Once you learn to ignore them it is possible to lead a normal life. It's taken me 15 years and lots of help from forum members to get past the heart fear. When my anxiety is high they do bother me but thankfully those days are rare.

P.S.S ... I exercise regular and I notice during exercise I'm fine but then for the day or 2 after the ectopics are worse than usual. Really doesn't concern me much though I'm used to it now.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Thanks for your reply and good wishes for your step dad.... yes its detaching the fear and reafirming with yourself that everything is fine etc.... its hard when your in the moment sometimes.

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

And yes I'm on Lexapro 20mg sorry..

Thread Information