Thread: Being put under pressure to do things that you don't want to do

Unhappy Being put under pressure to do things that you don't want to do

In my spare time I help out with running a Facebook page and its accompanying website/blog. I only ever wanted to be involved with helping out online, but now the owner of the website keeps asking me to come to events in person. I don't want to be involved in any of the in-person events, as travelling outside of my home city on my own would cause me a lot of anxiety, and also my Asperger syndrome would make these sorts of events very difficult for me anyway.

Even though I have explained the above to him, he is very persistent and won't seem to take no for an answer. Apart from this, I get on with him well and I like helping out with the Facebook page and website. I even asked my step-dad if I could to one of these events, but it would involve a lot of travelling and he said no (which didn't really surprise me - my parents are very protective of me due to my Asperger's and anxiety - I am not very "streetwise".

The website owner is so persistent though - he keeps sending me invites to these events, even though I say no every time, and I've made him fully aware of my difficulties. I don't want to fall out with him though - how can I get him to accept that I don't want to be involved with anything other than the online stuff?

Re: Being put under pressure to do things that you don't want to do

I agree with Raindrops Sparkle. Be firm with him and reiterate your wish to help out online only. If he's any kind of friend he will accept your wishes, if he still continues then you are better off without that kind of pressure

You need to put your mental wellbeing first, his venture is a nice-to-have.

It seems to me he is trying to make it your problem by persisting and making you feel guilty for constantly turning it down.

I think it's a matter of saying no and why and not to send any further invites. If he persists then, he's really making a pain of himself. I would be simply deleting any invites without response at that point.

You are doing nothing wrong, you are helping him for free! He just wants more. It's trying to take advantage to me and I am glad your dad responded as he did as I'm assuming he is concerned someone is trying to take advantage of your good nature and due to your Aspergers's complications as you explain, I think it's really not on.

Some people are just cheeky and try to guilt trip people into getting more out of them.

Thanks for your replies. I will explain to him that although he enjoys organising these kinds of events, they're not for me and I'd rather just focus on the online stuff.

Thread Information