Thread: Propranolol and low mood?

Propranolol and low mood?

Question for anyone taking propranolol please....

So 2 days ago the dr upped my Dose of propranolol from 10mg to 40 mg as and when required ..Since then I have been taking them before I head out as that is when I need it at the minute as driving is a panic point for me and also the going out in general and I am trying to get back to work.

Now I have to say it does work to reduce the physical sensations and so the panic BUT also for the last 2 evenings I have been feeling really depressed and down..... sort of a "really can't be bothered, what is the point of this" sort of mood..... where as before taking the Propranolol I never got this feeling to this extent at all

So has anyone taking propranolol found that it causes low mood and depression?

Not quite sure I can cope with low mood as well as anxiety *sigh*

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Propranolol and low mood?

Hi Emmz,

I’m taking propranolol with Citalopram and I’m unsure which medication is causing it but yes I do feel low mood. The first week the propranolol was great! Just took away the physical effects of my anxiety but now going into my 3rd week of both medications I’m feeling really low which I never was before. Sorry I can’t clear it up, but one of these medications is making me miserable.

The one thing Im always aware of taking beta blockers is that they aren't mind-altering drugs, therefore shouldn't be mood changing. They should only have physical effects which can result in side effects for some people such as lethargy, excessive tiredness etc, as they act to slow the heart rate down. The problem can then be that there's not enough oxygenated blood being pumped around when needed...such as when climbing stairs or exercising, which can result in feeling breathless. Physical symptoms caused by beta blockers can get you down and so can perhaps then contribute to low mood in that way, rather than as a direct result of taking them.

I took propranolol for approx 7 years before changing to another beta blocker called Bisoprolol and have felt physically better after giving up propranolol. I've never suffered with depression thankfully, but anxiety & panic have been with me all of my life and they've helped alot with that. But If you're succeptable to depression, it could be that you're in that cycle again rather than the propranolol causing it?

I've also read about Citalopram causing depression in alot of people, but this is a known mind altering drug to begin with. So Cit' could be the reason Jamie is experiencing a shift in mood, rather than the propranolol being the culprit.

I hope you start to feel better soon Venus x

I am on citalopram too but also been on it for a long time. I halved my dose of citalopram which is what I think caused my blip... now back up to the higher dose.

not really had proper depression before, I don't think so this feeling is really getting me down

It may just be my head is trying to push things and my head is retaliating

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

I was prescribed a beta-blocker (metoprolol) for my anxiety symptoms and my doctor told me to take it only when required and as little as possible since beta-blockers are known to worsen depression. However, I have to take metoprolol almost everyday in order to function. So may be there is a link between your feeling down and propranolol. Beta blockers are known to cross the brain-blood barrier, propranolol more than metoprolol. This is not the case with atenolol. I am thinking of changing to atenolol as I have been on escitalopram (10 mg daily) and mirtazapine (30 mg daily) for 3 months already and I still have some anxiety and depression. Citalopram had always worked within 3-4 Weeks in the past (3 times) but it didn’t work this time. My doctor then changed me to escitalopram and then added mirtazapine.

Thread Information