Thread: IBS or Colon Cancer?

IBS or Colon Cancer?

Hello. A bit too much info, but for the past two weeks or so I've been experiencing random bouts of abdominal discomfort that seem to get worse as I think about it, along with alternating thin stool/constipation. I have to go to the bathroom a few times a day, but most of the time nothing comes out. I have no blood in my stool, and I don't feel sick. Generally, it gets worse when I go out somewhere, as I am more paranoid in public. I'm not sure whether it is colon cancer or IBS, since the symptoms are strikingly similar. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 13:08 ---------- Previous post was at 13:06 ----------

Edit; I have also had a long history with health anxiety, and I had an ultrasound that came back normal about a year ago for a different issue.

Re: IBS or Colon Cancer?

Hey there,

This sounds so much like IBS. Whenever I'm anxious I have the EXACT same symptoms, they can last weeks depending on how stressed I was/am. At college once I went out of my lesson 7 times in the space of 2 hours as I was so worried about my other symptoms and on the verge of a panic attack. I get bad cramps too but I try to ignore them. Never once have I thought I had colon cancer purely because I have never dared googling stomach symptoms. Please be assured you are totally fine and the fact you've had a scan recently says it all.

Peace, love and merry christmas

Thank you for responding,

But I read that blood tests nor ultrasounds can detect colon cancer? Which sends me into more of a panic. I sound like a loon, but I'm honestly worried.

Definitely sounds like IBS. Blood tests would show inflammation. If you are really worried, drop in a stool sample with your GP and ask them to test for fecal calprotectin. If the levels are raised this indicates inflammation in your colon (anything from simple inflammation to cancer), and this would determine if you needed a colonoscopy or not. But, two weeks of this sounds exactly like IBS to me x

Thread Information