Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood in urine- bladder cancer

Blood in urine- bladder cancer

It’s been a while since I’ve posted here. This time it’s bad. Tuesday evening I saw blood in my urine. For the evening - like 4 times that night and twice the next morning. I have no symptoms of uti so immediately went to the dr. She wrote me a rx for uti and also gave me a name of a urologist. She sent the culture out and I’ve heard nothing. I think because there is no infection with the holiday upon us I won’t be able to call again until Tuesday. Obviously there are not a lot of reasons behind blood in the urine. Bladder cancer is all over Google... and I used to smoke for like 15-20 years. Smoking causes bladder cancer. I’ve had a lot health worries over the years but nothing like this. I’m scared to death. I can’t even function because I’m just so shocked. And I don’t even know what to do next...

Re: Blood in urine- bladder cancer

This is so common. It happens to my mom all the time. It is almost certainly a UTI.

You can still have a UTI and not have symptoms... I am prone to them and it seems like everytime my urine is tested I'm given a script for antibotics cause they say I have a UTI, yet at the time I will be feeling fine.... I have 3 times in my life had one where I knew I had it from the symptoms. Not fun...
    I'm sure it's probably just a simple a UTI, try not to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by crazygirl2 View Post
    It’s been a while since I’ve posted here. This time it’s bad. Tuesday evening I saw blood in my urine. For the evening - like 4 times that night and twice the next morning. I have no symptoms of uti so immediately went to the dr. She wrote me a rx for uti and also gave me a name of a urologist. She sent the culture out and I’ve heard nothing. I think because there is no infection with the holiday upon us I won’t be able to call again until Tuesday. Obviously there are not a lot of reasons behind blood in the urine. Bladder cancer is all over Google... and I used to smoke for like 15-20 years. Smoking causes bladder cancer. I’ve had a lot health worries over the years but nothing like this. I’m scared to death. I can’t even function because I’m just so shocked. And I don’t even know what to do next...
    This was the main cause for my health anxiety and the reason it all snowballed into something ridiculous that im struggling to get out of,i had a urine test before an operation no symptoms no nothing,then they found micro blood in urine whoch sent my head completley off!!!googled and googled bladder cancer!!! Repeated the test 6 times since and it was clear!! I have no idea what it was but keep the faith and dont panic,merry christmas

Thanks guys. It’s not making sense though I have had utis before why would it be different this time? Plus if there was an infection found they would have called me. Also on top of that the doctor said she’d refer me to a urologist. I can’t imagine why unless she thought there’s a chance it could be something serious. Just feel shocked because seeing blood in your urine is quite upsetting.

But blood in your urine IS a big symptom of a UTI. I had a really bad UTI where peeing blood was the first symptom. Didn't stop until the antibiotics kicked in. I got cramps too but the blood was the first thing.

I'm a bit confused by your post. You say the doc "wrote me a rx for uti" so doesn't that mean that doctor diagnosed that you do have one? Did she do a strip test to diagnose?

They took a sample and she said there was blood and *some* bacteria in it- when she said some she said it i a way that seemed there was not much bacteria....she said she was going to send it out for culture and see if anything grows. Then said she was also giving me the name of a urologist....so she's treating for uti because it's the simplest cause. I do not have a uti though. I am positive because this is not the way they present with me. With me it's the burning. I have ALWAYS had the burning and I have NEVER had blood.

If it was only a little bacteria in it that could be from how I collected it maybe i accidentally touched the lid or something. And I have never had a doctor send out a sample for culture because they always could tell for sure in the office.

They wouldn't be able to tell if there is a little or a lot of bacteria with the strips they use in the office, that's why they send it out for culture. The strips they use only tell them... yes or no. So yes there is blood, yes there is bacteria, yes there is protein etc etc... that's how those strips work.
    I am not sure why the referral for Urologist but I have noticed the GP'S now a days seem to refer patients out for just about everything.. I think it's to cover themselves. Maybe she refered you out because you don't have symptoms of a UTI and even though she suspects a UTI she wants to be safe?
    I don't know how old you are but I will tell you that bladder cancer is extremely rare in younger adults. Most people diagnosed with it are elderly. Of course it can and does happen to people younger but the chances are very very slim and it's usually not primary when it does occur in those patients.
    Finding blood in your urine is scary but take comfort in the fact that more times then not the reason for its presence is nothing serious.. Try not to worry

They took a sample and she said there was blood and *some* bacteria in it- when she said some she said it i a way that seemed there was not much bacteria....she said she was going to send it out for culture and see if anything grows. Then said she was also giving me the name of a urologist....so she's treating for uti because it's the simplest cause. I do not have a uti though. I am positive because this is not the way they present with me. With me it's the burning. I have ALWAYS had the burning and I have NEVER had blood.

If it was only a little bacteria in it that could be from how I collected it maybe i accidentally touched the lid or something. And I have never had a doctor send out a sample for culture because they always could tell for sure in the office.

Okay and that is what I was telling you... There is no way for your DR to know if there is a little or a lot of bacteria with the strips they use in the office. It only tells them yes there is bacteria present or no there is none present.
    By her saying there is some bacteria present doesn't mean she is telling you there is only a little bit of bacteria. She is simply telling you yes there is some bacteria in your sample.

Just because they have never sent your urine for culture doesn't mean they dont do it. I have had mine sent for culture more then a few times. Just because you normally have symptoms when you have a UTI doesn't mean you never had one and didn't have the normal symptoms. You could have had one before and weren't aware. Some drs are extra cautious. I have had confirmed UTI in the office and still have my urine sent for culture after being given a script for broad range antibiotics. They send it out to see if something grows and if it does what bacteria it is so they know what antibiotics to use. They use certain antibiotics to treat certain bacteria and perhaps the antibiotic you start out with even though its broad range can possibly not be effective for the bacteria they find.
    I know you are afraid, I to have health anxiety and am currently struggling with some symptoms so I understand.. but we must understand that not everything that happens to us is sinister. It seems you have convinced yourself that you have bladder cancer and nothing anyone here has to offer will help ease your mind some....

No one here can tell you if you have bladder cancer or not, we can only tell you that it isn't likely so try not to worry. You should call your DR tomorrow and follow up on your culture. Maybe even ask to speak with her and express your worry... People get refereed to Urologist for more then just bladder cancer so try not to jump to conclusions.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information