Thread: New

New

Hi

I found this site last night and thought it was great, and although i went in the chat rooms and had a chat it's taken me until today to pluck up the courage to actually post anything! (Nerves bad at the moment!)
    I'm 36years old and had my first panic attack about 7 years ago, then 2 in as many years. Now i seem to get them in town or shopping (supermarkets and department stores are my worst places). My husband started his own business nearly a year ago and i'm blaming him! The worry of it is tremendous (or so it seems!), the business is doing well and i also work, but everyday i feel anxious about something, normally something totally irrelevant, like i can't find something, or even what we're going to have for tea! I've been dreading this time of year for literally months knowing that somehow i'm going to have the face the prospect of xmas shopping in the supermarket. I've lost count of the amount of times i've come out with nothing because i couldn't face the checkout, or moving that little bit further into the store. I've started to avoid places and have even registered with on-line supermarkets thinking this would be a good solution, but really it isn't it's just driving me further away from my problem. I'm not on any medication and saw my doctor who prescribed tranquilizers which i didn't take. I thought i could tackle it alone but it's so hard. My husband or my friend have to come nearly everywhere with me and it's making me feel so inadequate and useless. I keep remembering how i used to be outgoing, shopaholic, drive anywhere, visit all the major cities, and all that, and now I can barely bring myself to venture anywhere anywhere alone. All i want for xmas is my life back. I'm sorry if i've put a downer on everyone's day, but no one else seems to understand, my parents think it's a case of "pull yourself together" and my husband only realised something was wrong when i threw a shopping basket at him and ran out of Asda! I'm sorry if this a bit long winded and if you have read it all many many thanks for listening! Kind Regards MaryXX

Hi Mary

Welcome to the site. I'm glad you registered. It was good talking to you in chat last night. People telling you to 'pull yourself together' doesn't help, but you can get over this. You are right that avoiding places doesn't help because you end up avoiding more and more.

You will get a lot of help and support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Hi Mary

Welcome to the site

Sorry to here what you are going through.

Firstly I want to say that you have not but a
    downer on anyones day because you a talking
    to people who understand just how you feel.
    It's hard for people eg, your parents, parnter,
    to understand because to understand somthing
    like this you have to go through it, and I would not
    wish that on anyone:(

I myself since coming on this site am feelling alot
    better.
    With alot of hard work support and time you can
    learn how to see less of Mr Panic.
    There are lots of nice people on here who will help
    and support you.
    You have come to the right place.
    Remember you are not alone.

TAKE CARE

JILLXX

"Beleve in yourself. You gain strenth courage and cofidence
    by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face.
    You must do that which you think you cannot do"

hi mary and welcom to the site, I am shure u will find lots of support here. I remember u comming in the room last night and sorry if i didnt welcome you or seem forward but thought u was a mary who has been using site for a whule. Anyway what u r feeling and going through is so common, I too have been using the net for nearly all my shopping needs and know its not helping cos its stopping us going out? I to used to love shopping and going anywhere new and now i hardly leave the house. anyway hope u find the help u need on here take care Vernon

Thank you all for listening! I feel better just knowing there's people out there who understand.
    Hi Karen, i hope you're ok. I took your advice thank you!
    I actually stood in a small supermarket at the checkout today and felt ok (only 1 person in front of us but i stood all the same!), I think the gyrating snowman in front of me helped take my mind of it! My husband even walked back to the car and left me to get the ciggies in Safeway, no running after him shouting "wait for me!" or "Can't you just stand outside so I can see you!" I'm hoping i'm making progress, even if it's only small steps. I keep telling myself "I've hit a pothole in the road of life and soon the road will become smoother!" Love Mary2!!XXX

Well done Mary, that's great. Small steps is the way to do it. You are doing well and it is definitely progress.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

**I think the gyrating snowman in front of me helped take my mind of it!**

Hi Mary ,

You are totally on the right track.

The reason driving and queues and shopping are such favourite places for panic to set in is because its time where we are not actually doing anything that we are conciously thinking about and our mind wanders and we allow thoughts in- that can then turn into what 'if thoughts' and scare us and we have the time and perfect environment for this to escalate into panic.

You are on the right track -you need to do it often and buld on your sucesses and change your worst nightmare scary thoughts into optimistic and realistic ones..

You can get over it - with small steps is the best way as it gets properly anchored.

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Hi Mary

I am so pleased you have found the site and posted about yourself and had some really positive replies.

Well done for how you managed in the supermarket, remember what a positive step forward that is for you and how well you managed.

Love Sal xxxxx

Hi Mary

Welcome aboard the site and forum. Glad you managed to get in chat last night as well.

Look forward to getting to know you.

Nicola

Thread Information