Thread: Rental car theft attempt, door lock dammaged-what to do??

Rental car theft attempt, door lock dammaged-what to do??

As I mentioned in the title, the door lock in a brand new Ford Focus ST we got from a german car rental comapany was damaged in a theft attempt.

I got overwhelemd with the situation and I don't know what to do... I tried to contact the rental company and ask them what I should do, but of course they are closed for Christmas, so we just drove away... Here comes the worst part: My partner only took the basic insurance so any damage up to 950 euro we need to pay from our own pockets...
    In our defence, we had no clue that they would give us such a fancy car! And none of the cars I had before were "break-in worthy"...

Does anybody know what I should do now? Do I need to call the police? The rental company? How much could it cost to replace a door lock in such a fancy, new car? A friend I spoke to said that the rental company will have to change all 4 door locks, could it be true???

Please help me. I feel so anxious and I want to cry, and my partner is also feeling pretty low about it too, so he can't be of much help now...

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

Re: Rental car theft attempt, door lock dammaged-what to do??

I would be calling the police to report the crime x

Re: Rental car theft attempt, door lock dammaged-what to do??

Thank you for your answer Pepperpot. I called the police today, and they told me to come after Christmas to give my testimony, and file a report. Tomorrow I am planning on calling the rental company and asking them on what to do. I reckon they will be open, and someone can instruct me on what to do. As for the costs of reparation I already kissed 950 euro goodbye, which is my waiver.

My anxiety is better now, but I was very upset still yesterday. I managed to talk to my partner and it helped enough for me to go back to sleep.

Sh*t happens I guess... :-/

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

Thread Information