Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hypnic jolts and sleep issues.

Re: Hypnic jolts and sleep issues.

Quote Originally Posted by natzsteveo View Post
    I get this badly as well I get it even when im asleep so I get it as I'm drifting when im asleep and even now im awake I'll jolt t's awful so where do I get this magnesium oil from
    Nat
    Hi Nat,

There are lots of forms of magnesium and some help with different things so I'll post in a thread where some have adding some useful links.

But as far as the oil goes (and the bath flakes) you can buy them in health food shops, pharmacies and even supermarkets these days. Obviously online gives you more range and cheaper prices. Places like Tesco shop the BetterYou ranges which have this, for instance.

EDIT: Link added http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...79#post1754379

So the last week I was sleeping much better. I'm taking a mix of chelated magnesium, taurine and cod liver oil.

The last few days it's been quite troublesome though
    Little to no sleep and the twitches/jolts are happening when I'm about to drift off. I just get really panicky during sleep time and instantly think I'm going to start twitching when I'm about to sleep. I really focus in on it and inevitably I usually get a subtle shoulder twitch that makes me panic more.

Went to the docs who seems to think it's definitely an anxiety issue. As I said before, I've had massive health anxiety the whole of 2017....the numerous health concerns only calmed down at the beginning of December 2017 where I finally thought to myself "there's nothing physically wrong with you". I just assumed after I finally came to the realisation that I was ok the sleep wouldn't be an issue anymore. After a few nights of very little sleep I panicked more and more about sleeping .....And then the jerks came (previously don't remember ever suffering from them my whole life).

Doc said he could prescribe me either diazapam or Zopiclone but warned against it due to the risk of of dependency. Advised to carry on with CBT amd work on my anxiety issues. Did prescribe promethezine as he said there's no risk if dependency but again advised me to not use it until I've exhausted all other options.

Hi It makes sense and sounds like you have good dr so trust and cooperate on this, continue with the CBT and your anxiety issues you wont go far wrong Keep us updated on any developments ATB

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Hi It makes sense and sounds like you have good dr so trust and cooperate on this, continue with the CBT and your anxiety issues you wont go far wrong Keep us updated on any developments ATB
    Cheers mate.

It's just that I really become down after a night of bad sleep and start thinking "I'm never going to sleep properly again" or "these jolts are gonna start up when I'm about to sleep so what's the point". I always forget the amount of decent sleeps I've had recently and it seems like it's back to square 1. Just feeling sorry for myself and reading stuff cancers, tumours, MS to make me feel more bloody depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdawson View Post
    Cheers mate.

It's just that I really become down after a night of bad sleep and start thinking "I'm never going to sleep properly again" or "these jolts are gonna start up when I'm about to sleep so what's the point". I always forget the amount of decent sleeps I've had recently and it seems like it's back to square 1. Just feeling sorry for myself and reading stuff cancers, tumours, MS to make me feel more bloody depressed.
    I used to think like that used to get many sleepless nights still get them but not as often, so I know it will get easier for you Yeah Been there 'feeling' sorry for my self too it's often like a game of snakes and ladders you just feeling good and you land on a snake and down you go nearly to square one. A tip is don't google stuff that is likely to cause you to go down hill, it's doesn't take much to get feeling bloody depressed I know that from experience mate! ATB

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    I used to think like that used to get many sleepless nights still get them but not as often, so I know it will get easier for you Yeah Been there 'feeling' sorry for my self too it's often like a game of snakes and ladders you just feeling good and you land on a snake and down you go nearly to square one. A tip is don't google stuff that is likely to cause you to go down hill, it's doesn't take much to get feeling bloody depressed I know that from experience mate! ATB
    Went to my CBT class today and felt slightly better. Still panicking about night time/lack of sleep/ jolting randomly but I can't predict the future so need to stop panicking and predicting the worst (that I won't sleep...that I will have twitches at sleep time forever). I will eventually overcome this.

Hi guys just wanted to post a bit about my state of mind and my issues which I'm really scared about.

So I've been suffering from HA(on and off) since 2013 but 2017 was a very bad year with one HA issue after the other. Of course with HA it leads to bouts of insomnia which finally clears up when you feel reassured that you don't have this particular illness you are concerned about.

Anyway late December I finally reassured myself that I was ok in regards to my latest health scare issue (tinnitus in left ear only audible in absolute dead silence and extremely low level). The 'tinnitus' I thought I had for months and was looking out for 24/7 suddenly vanished and I c ouldn't hear anything much to my relief (although I always questioned whether it actually was tinnitus being that I couldn't hear it when I put ear plugs on.

So anyway that was clear and I thought my sleeping issue would resolve itself but it didn't. Constantly panicky before bed , thinking I won't fall asleep etc etc. Anyway I then developed random hypnic jerks at sleep onset (which I don't remember ever having). These were random movements just when I'm about to fall asleep (usually effecting shoulders but sometimes legs And hands). The jerks are still here, they've never been intense just subtle movement but they obviously stop me from stalling asleep which then in itself becomes a battle. They've been with me now since late December and I'm literally thinking about 'how much sleep I'm going to get throughout the day. Sometimes I get decent sleep but I'm not relaxing in bed and I'm always thinking "when is this twitch going to come".

Since a week or so ago I've really had some poor sleep and developed a twitch in my right lower eyelid which is annoying. My body generally feels twitchy and I feel very panicky. I keep looking for weird feelings in my body somehow convinced I have MS. Keep going on MS forums and reading up on it constantly which only makes it worse if course. I'm just so scared.

Spoken to my doc about the sudden movements before bed and twitchy eyelid but he doesn't seem concerned at all. He says it's anxiety related but I don't know. I'm scared and feel jittery.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

So the last week I was sleeping much better. I'm taking a mix of chelated magnesium, taurine and cod liver oil.

The last few days it's been quite troublesome though
    Little to no sleep and the twitches/jolts are happening when I'm about to drift off. I just get really panicky during sleep time and instantly think I'm going to start twitching when I'm about to sleep. I really focus in on it and inevitably I usually get a subtle shoulder twitch that makes me panic more.

Went to the docs who seems to think it's definitely an anxiety issue. As I said before, I've had massive health anxiety the whole of 2017....the numerous health concerns only calmed down at the beginning of December 2017 where I finally thought to myself "there's nothing physically wrong with you". I just assumed after I finally came to the realisation that I was ok the sleep wouldn't be an issue anymore. After a few nights of very little sleep I panicked more and more about sleeping .....And then the jerks came (previously don't remember ever suffering from them my whole life).

Doc said he could prescribe me either diazapam or Zopiclone but warned against it due to the risk of of dependency. Advised to carry on with CBT amd work on my anxiety issues. Did prescribe promethezine as he said there's no risk if dependency but again advised me to not use it until I've exhausted all other options.
    Just a heads up mate, I always suffer extreme sleep issues during and after a major bout of health anxiety. Currently going through one now.

I can tell you from first hand experience that it takes months to retrain your body to start sleeping undisturbed again. It's not easy, and you'll have setbacks. Medication can be helpful in the early stages, but it will come with time. 2 years ago I had the jerks, I also got a vibrating feeling throughout my body (which was just from the sheer terror of knowing another stressful night was ahead of me) and eventually I even started having some weird colour blast close eye hallucinations that scared me beyond belief. Was a really bad time. This time, I have developed this weird loud bang that just wakes me up, very similar to a body jolt, happens at the same stage of sleep apparently.

As for the twitches, especially eye twitches, they seem to go hand in hand with disturbed sleep for whatever reason. I had it last time and it lasted 3 weeks.

This time I have something else with my right eye, its more of a pulling sensation and is almost constant. Had it since late December about 2 weeks into the sleep disturbance starting again. Definitely 100% not suggestive of MS.
    Last edited by Imeleedi; 12-02-18 at 18:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Imeleedi View Post
    Just a heads up mate, I always suffer extreme sleep issues during and after a major bout of health anxiety. Currently going through one now.

I can tell you from first hand experience that it takes months to retrain your body to start sleeping undisturbed again. It's not easy, and you'll have setbacks. Medication can be helpful in the early stages, but it will come with time. 2 years ago I had the jerks, I also got a vibrating feeling throughout my body (which was just from the sheer terror of knowing another stressful night was ahead of me) and eventually I even started having some weird colour blast close eye hallucinations that scared me beyond belief. Was a really bad time. This time, I have developed this weird loud bang that just wakes me up, very similar to a body jolt, happens at the same stage of sleep apparently.

As for the twitches, especially eye twitches, they seem to go hand in hand with disturbed sleep for whatever reason. I had it last time and it lasted 3 weeks.

This time I have something else with my right eye, its more of a pulling sensation and is almost constant. Had it since late December about 2 weeks into the sleep disturbance starting again. Definitely 100% not suggestive of MS.
    Thanks gor the reasuring words mate. Ive also lately got that vibrating feeling when im lying down. Dont think im actually vibrating and only happened once or twice but i know the feeling you are talking about.

Ive just read sooooo much about MS/ALS/Brain tumours that im petrified.

Thanks gor the reasuring words mate. Ive also lately got that vibrating feeling when im lying down. Dont think im actually vibrating and only happened once or twice but i know the feeling you are talking about.

Ive just read sooooo much about MS/ALS/Brain tumours that im petrified.
    I've been there man, don't worry.

I was physically vibrating, I could see it and even showed my brother and he saw it too. It is just a by product of extreme stress.

If you have read everything bout them all you will no doubt know that none of them really present in ways typical of each other. Brain tumours occasionally present with MS type symptoms (because of direct interference with nerves in the CNS them-self. However, the vast majority of the time they present with swelling symptoms as a result of the mass effect itself.

Things like seizures, headaches enough to make you vomit, severe lethargy, and losing ability down one side of the body. Seriously, seriously obvious stuff that scares even the most normal of people, and would send anyone with HA directly to the A+E demanding a contrast MRI (not that you'd need to ask)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information