Thread: Does anyone have travel anxiety?

Does anyone have travel anxiety?

I'm travelling to family in 4 days... but i'm really not looking forward to it. The last time i went, i had anxiety attacks.. at the airport, and while in another country.. it's only a 2,5 hour flight but so much that can happen

If i just think about it i feel sick to my stomach. On the plane i'm usually fine, it's more the busy airport.. Knowing my mind right now and how i've been feeling lately, i think i just need to take everything very easy. So i might be telling my family i'll stay in the house on my laptop while they go do things sometimes..

I really don't want to go but also can't really cancel ... what do you guys do to cope?

Re: Does anyone have travel anxiety?

When my anxiety was at its worst I wouldn't even get on the highway, I didn't travel anywhere.. I wanted to make sure I was near a hospital at all times. I also would drive to the hospital and park in the emergency room parking lot to take any new medication for at least 30 minutes in the event I had a horrible reaction, I was already at the hospital.

I dont do these things anymore and I love to travel now but I can deff relate to those who have this fear. To be honest, I have no idea how I was able to overcome my anxiety for as long as I did. I tried medication and I tried therapy but nothing worked for me. I just kept telling myself over and over there was nothing wrong with me that was going to kill me and even if it did there was nothing I could do to prevent it and one day I started to believe it. I still have a benzo that I take on very rare occasion but I have been mostly anxiety free the last 7 or so years. Until recently that is... I started going through some medical issues that has triggered a spark that lit my anxiety fuse but I am fighting, hard as I can anyway...

Do you have anything you can bring with you medication wise in the event you start to feel anxious?

Re: Does anyone have travel anxiety?

I'm asking my doctor tomorrow for some oxazepam just in case i need it. But the more im thinking about it the more i just don't want to go .. i'm imagening all the places i could have an anxiety attack at...
    where as if i stay home i'll be just fine

Also that is really impressive that you managed to stay mostly anxiety free for 7 years! I'm sure you'll get back to that place
    Last edited by Panda22; 29-12-17 at 00:13.

Thread Information