Thread: Atrial fibrillation/afib worries

Atrial fibrillation/afib worries

Hi everyone,

When I got out of bed today I walked to the bathroom to get a glass of water and as I started drinking my heartbeat went completely out of control. It started beating insanely fast, faster than I knew it could even beat, and was very irregular, kind of like b----b----bb-bb-bbbb----b--b-bbb---bb--b----bb---bbbb--bb- (looks silly but it's the best way I can describe it).

I've never felt anything like that before and thought I was having a heart attack/going to die. After about 25 seconds it subsided and my heart was beating back to normal again.

I started to look online (I know I know...) at atrial fibrillation and now I'm terrified that this is going to crop up again and kill me. I can't get reasurrance from a doctor right now as they're all booked up for weeks. I don't know what else it could have been, it was so out of the blue and for no apparent reason.

Has anyone else experienced this? My parents are reassuring me that it's nothing to worry about - my mum has SVTs, ectopic beats and palpatations diagnosed but she says hasn't ever had what I described. I'm only 23 but it's got me terrified.

Thanks guys

Re: Atrial fibrillation/afib worries

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by hi07172 View Post

(...)
    Has anyone else experienced this? My parents are reassuring me that it's nothing to worry about - my mum has SVTs, ectopic beats and palpatations diagnosed but she says hasn't ever had what I described. I'm only 23 but it's got me terrified.

Thanks guys
    I'm sorry you got this crazy thing. But are you sure it was A-fib? This has to be recorded with an ECG. If it did stop quickly, it's likely harmless. Don't worry about it. If this thing come back, maybe seing a doctor would be a good Idea...
    I've A-fib for two years, I know it may be frightening. If you're healthy with a healthy heart, short attacks are usually harmless. Try to keep quiet.
    Healthy new year!

Hi I also get runs of irregular heart beats, had it checked out but told benign although I always worry that they didnt catch it!! Sometimes I think I’m having a fast heart rate with ectopics thrown in which will feel like an irregular rhythm. I suggest you look at the Youtube channel York Cardiology by Dr Sanjay Gupta a UK based cardiologist, lots of reassuring videos and if you’re on Facebook you can post on his page and get answers from him although obviously he can’t properly diagnose there. Try not to stress about it as this only makes them worse, take care x

Quote Originally Posted by Seffie View Post
    Hi I also get runs of irregular heart beats, had it checked out but told benign although I always worry that they didnt catch it!! Sometimes I think I’m having a fast heart rate with ectopics thrown in which will feel like an irregular rhythm. I suggest you look at the Youtube channel York Cardiology by Dr Sanjay Gupta a UK based cardiologist, lots of reassuring videos and if you’re on Facebook you can post on his page and get answers from him although obviously he can’t properly diagnose there. Try not to stress about it as this only makes them worse, take care x
    Hi, Seffie. I've watched Dr Gupta's videos : they are very informative and, as you wrote, reassuring. Thanks !

Thread Information