Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: As someone with this theme, could you tell me how...

Re: As someone with this theme, could you tell me how...

Quote Originally Posted by rainydayinsummer View Post
    One last thing I have to say before I (hopefully) move on: it's just that, somewhere along the line in the past, I somehow picked up the notion that making offensive jokes even if it's behind someone's back is somehow like, some kind of voodoo or something towards a potentially offended party.

---------- Post added at 11:27 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

No, I don't really have magical thinking per se, I'm talking about the idea that even edgy jokes said behind one's back is somehow an insult to the person.
    Ugh, this is still in the back of my mind. To be fair though, I tell myself this: that context is everything and if ever a potentially offended party caught the joke-maker red handed, he/she could say that.

Bump

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

BTW, I can't be the only one with this theme, eh? With outrage culture and all...

One last thing I have to say before I (hopefully) move on: it's just that, somewhere along the line in the past, I somehow picked up the notion that making offensive jokes even if it's behind someone's back is somehow like, some kind of voodoo or something towards a potentially offended party.

---------- Post added at 11:27 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

No, I don't really have magical thinking per se, I'm talking about the idea that even edgy jokes said behind one's back is somehow an insult to the person.
    As you could see, the "voodoo" kind of thinking, I haven't fully let go of it.

Come to think about it, my OCD could be quite lopsided sometimes. Like, I could be afraid of laughing at dark jokes because they're disrespectful, and yet I love to make dark hypothetical situations on Quora about death and stuff, and one might argue that's also disrespectful. And pretty much the same thing.

Come to think about it, my OCD could be quite lopsided sometimes. Like, I could be afraid of laughing at dark jokes because they're disrespectful, and yet I love to make dark hypothetical situations on Quora about death and stuff, and one might argue that's also disrespectful. And pretty much the same thing.

I’ve had a lot of OCD themes but this isn’t one of them so maybe I can offer the ‘normal person’ part (for once!)

Dark humour is actually a personal favourite of mine, and my parters too. There are many jokes that we make that would not be appropriate in certain spaces, say for example a work place environment or where you don’t know the people and their views. Finding things that someone else may find offensive funny isn’t really an issue. Being deliberately offensive to a group of people is.

In an attempt make a somewhat relatable situation I’ll describe something that offended me but is actually funny, when I have been online in certain groups for shared hobbies someone made a quip about being ‘too OCD’ and referencing other mental illnesses in their post, their post was funny and also offensive to those of us that do suffer - I could very much see both sides and I chose to laugh, where other members of the group chose to call the person out and to be offended. It’s all about perception and personal choice. I digress a little from my point but I hope it helps.

My main point is, in private or like minded company it’s absolutely fine to make whatever jokes/find them funny, I like to think of myself as a caring and nice individual but I still enjoy dark and twisted humour - even about themes that directly effect me.

Laugh! It’s good for us!

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

There is personally nothing wrong in finding a joke funny. However, with due course of time, if you keep self-disciplining a lot then maybe you will stop finding such jokes funny. It is analogous to a popular psychiatric technique called systematic de-sensitization.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorallen View Post
    There is personally nothing wrong in finding a joke funny. However, with due course of time, if you keep self-disciplining a lot then maybe you will stop finding such jokes funny. It is analogous to a popular psychiatric technique called systematic de-sensitization.
    Yeah, for years, I self-disciplined myself excessively. I guess after some time, said desensitization did happen. But I did get tired of the constant self-disciplining, for it didn't improve my life and I got to a place where I somehow managed to be all self-disciplined and out-of-control at the same time. (I'm talking about my entire life and not just my attitude to offensive jokes.) You see, I had this one trauma nine or so years ago when someone said that one joke I otherwise would have found funny was offensive. (I honestly don't know which specific incident that even was, but I remember how it felt.) And I dealt with it by being in denial. Every time someone expressed offense at a joke or made a woke thinkpiece against it, I would take it lying down without doing any critical thinking. But of course, this much self-discipline never works and I cracked.

UPDATE: I occasionally still have this theme. However, I have also learned that all OCD themes could be ridden out and I now know how to stop themes in their tracks. I didn't make this post to ask for reassurance, but I also felt that I had to share all my thoughts on this matter. For I haven't properly expressed all those feelings yet.
    Last edited by rainydayinsummer; 27-04-19 at 15:04.

Yeah, for years, I self-disciplined myself excessively. I guess after some time, said desensitization did happen. But I did get tired of the constant self-disciplining, for it didn't improve my life and I got to a place where I somehow managed to be all self-disciplined and out-of-control at the same time. (I'm talking about my entire life and not just my attitude to offensive jokes.) You see, I had this one trauma nine or so years ago when someone said that one joke I otherwise would have found funny was offensive. (I honestly don't know which specific incident that even was, but I remember how it felt.) And I dealt with it by being in denial. Every time someone expressed offense at a joke or made a woke thinkpiece against it, I would take it lying down without doing any critical thinking. But of course, this much self-discipline never works and I cracked.

UPDATE: I occasionally still have this theme. However, I have also learned that all OCD themes could be ridden out and I now know how to stop themes in their tracks. I didn't make this post to ask for reassurance, but I also felt that I had to share all my thoughts on this matter. For I haven't properly expressed all those feelings yet.
    I wonder how many jokes actually exist that can't be moralised about? Someone can often probe for some inner meaning to something the author of the joke didn't mean to imply. It's one reason why social media is a frenzy of overly offended people looking to take offence at anything.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information