Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: As someone with this theme, could you tell me how...

As someone with this theme, could you tell me how...

...A person with no anxiety is supposed to react when they see a joke they know is offensive to others because of bad experiences, but one which he/she would otherwise find funny? I mean, I've been so used to self-disciplining too much that I don't really know anymore. (You see, I was about to post an OCD Action thread about this kinda thing not knowing I couldn't do that, hence the fractured title.) Wouldn't the right thing be to kind of know that said joke is wrong, but secretly still like that joke if you really find it that funny? (You see, I dunno what the hell the right thing is anymore even though that's what I secretly believe is the right thing to do.)

Re: As someone with this theme, could you tell me how...

bump

Admittedly, I want to know how to stop acting every time I see offensive jokes like I'm on a dirty sidewalk and I'm trying to avoid poop, that I have to numb myself into not laughing when I see them because I know they're offensive. Because of years of seeing people outraged by all sorts of jokes, I feel like I have to beat myself up into not finding jokes funny. I know that some people really do find some jokes offensive because of things that have happened to them, and while I would never make those jokes myself, the point here is that I feel like I have to fake not finding offensive jokes funny. I thought that I was over my SJW phase, but I guess I'm still brainwashed in some aspects.

Why is dog poo offensive? Many people get annoyed by it because irresponsible owners don't clear up after their dogs but it isn't otherwise offensive, well not unless the same people look at the toilet after they've done one and found their own bodily functions offensive...in which case that's not normal behaviour.

So, are you attaching too much to this? Are you worrying it reflects on you and makes you a bad person which you obviously won't want to be? Are you allowing yourself to feel guilty for things that you don't need to be?

I suspect your perception of this is skewed. Have there been any influences on you e.g. seeing people offended? Some people get offended by anything these days so it's important to determine whether they are being too sensitive as well.

But the poo thing is just a simile. What I mean is that I feel like I have to avoid laughing at offensive jokes as if I were in a dirty sidewalk trying not to step on poo. That was the comparison that sprung to mind because I've had to do that before.

Ah, sorry I misread that Been up too long...

Humour is subjective and some people find much more offensive than others. Around similiar company it doesn't matter and I'm wondering what pressures you feel are on you or environmental factors?

I mean, I know that some people who've had bad things happen to them get offended by certain jokes. I mean, the ones who aren't fakers. But the real question here is about how a normal and healthy person would react to a situation where they find something funny but also offensive.

bump

What would be the best way to mentally react when this happens again?

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

https://www.quora.com/If-you-realize...cower-in-guilt

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rainydayinsummer View Post
    But the poo thing is just a simile. What I mean is that I feel like I have to avoid laughing at offensive jokes as if I were in a dirty sidewalk trying not to step on poo. That was the comparison that sprung to mind because I've had to do that before.
    Like, I thought of that comparison because I have to do that once a month.

---------- Post added at 20:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Wait, is the merging automatic?

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

Oh, looks like it is.

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

Wait, am I the only one here in this board right now?

It merges because you are posting soon after. And this board is a quiet one so responses are slower and fewer but don't perceive that otherwise, it's more a HA forum so there are less of us responding on some of the other boards.

---------- Post added at 15:21 ---------- Previous post was at 15:17 ----------

I think a normal person may laugh but then think again but then go on to just moving on without thinking much more about. Not making themselves feel guilty about it and searching for deeper meanings into themselves over it.

And also consider the company you are in. You wouldn't laugh if you had a feeling others in your company would be upset by it. So, you respect their perceived feelings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information