Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared of conversations with people??

Unhappy Scared of conversations with people??

I've had anxiety for about ten years and at the moment it seems like the social aspect of it is taking over and I'm finding myself avoiding social situations where there is a chance I will have to have a one-on-one conversation with anybody, even close friends. I feel like during any conversation my anxiety takes over so I can't think of a normal response to what the person is saying and instead all I can think about is how to escape or what is wrong with me that I can't do this one simple thing.

I'm also reluctant to ever take the propranolol I've been prescribed because I think I somehow feel like relying on medication like that is admitting defeat and I should be able to overcome it myself but time and time again I feel deflated after any social interaction because I feel like I've not improved.

Does anyone experience anything similar and find that beta blockers are the way to go?

Thanks
    Rachel

Re: Scared of conversations with people??

Hi Rachel you have exactly the same as me! I hate one to one situations, i feel like i might gag when im talking to people, car journeys, dinner out, dates. Its horrible i am avoiding situations where this might happen.
    I have also bern prescribed propranolol as i got to the point where i had to do something about so i saw my gp. But so far i haven't taken one, i keep reading the side effects im scared to take one!!!
    Sarah

Hi Wether it's medication or therapy support that's what it's designed to do to support you through this I mean you both want to get better and as for the 'side' effects 1. Any pill can have side effects I take currently 4 different heart meds they all list varying side effects and I have been taking these pills for over 5 years now with no side effects atall usually there is leaflet with most meds outlining 'possible' side effects and the approx number that might be affected so for eg: it may say you could have a dry mouth 1 in every 1000 people may get this or mild head aches 1 in 100,000 people may experience this and so on so don't be scared taking your meds as they could well help you and give them time to start working too ATB

Thats true, im concerned about the lowering of heart rate and if this makes me dizzy. I think i have now just read too much and put myself off taking them!!
    I have a party to conquer tomorrow night ☹️ might need the medication.

Thanks for the replies guys :-) How did the party go Sarah? did you end up taking propranolol?

It's the dizzy, slow rate heart I get worried about too but I guess I've taken plenty of them over the course of many years and nothing bad has happened so I should stop seeing them as a bad thing. I actually did take one last night and I felt a lot better, I just don't want to be reliant on them every single day and you never know what way your plans might change or when you're going to bump into someone on the street.

Hi, the hour before the party i was a wreck, retching and crying. I took a propranolol i thought i have to do something to ease this and i was a bit anxious at first but the alcohol kicked in and i was fine!! I had a lovely evening! I relaxed and realised those friends had come out for me and i felt loved.
    I took a pill yesterday too and i feel ok but taking them now, i haven't taken one today as i too dont want to be reliant on them. Tomorrow im going away with friends for weekend so im a bit anxious, will definitely be taking them with me.
    Also, last night i went to a yoga class, i felt so relaxed after even found i was hungry after which i havent felt for ages!
    I found my heart rate slowed but i didnt feel dizzy.
    Can't believe i found a fellow sufferer!!
    Sarah

That’s so good that you ended up enjoying yourself! I think I’m coming round to the idea too that it’s ok to have propranolol as a back up, no one needs to know about it and if it makes us feel more like ourselves then it can only be a good thing :-) I’m feeling ok at the minute but it comes in waves. If you ever need to chat about it you know where I am :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a shy person at all - never was. I've been, however, a very compassionate and considerate person in conversations, always worried about offending someone.

Since developing panic attacks in certain social situation in my late 20's, I always anticipate the sorts of questions that will make me panic and embarrass myself (the fear of the fear). If I am somewhat/really comfortable with someone, I won't get that nervous. But if the conditions are just right, I will have to get up and leave; otherwise, I will be left to have a terrible panic attack with a stranger, or someone who doesn't know me very well. Then, I will have eternal embarrassment. But I will lie and say I have "severe vertigo", or something, to make thins appear a little better. Sad thing is, is that my panic attacks in social situations only last one minute or so, and are only triggered by certain questions. If I am asked questions when I'm at a public park/track exercising, I may not have a panic attack because I won't have an adrenaline rush because I will be running/jogging/doing yoga. It's all really bizarre how the mind and body work together.

Yeah I experienced this, my therapist taught me a visualisation exercise to help overcome it which helped.
    My social anxiety was about always expecting and sort of mind reading that others would notice that I was struggling. It was really hard work going out and having that logic versus emotion battle all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lucykowlessar View Post
    Yeah I experienced this, my therapist taught me a visualisation exercise to help overcome it which helped.
    My social anxiety was about always expecting and sort of mind reading that others would notice that I was struggling. It was really hard work going out and having that logic versus emotion battle all the time.
    Thank you.

I am getting therapy now. My therapy has many tools in his toolbox, or so he says. I am praying for light at the end of the tunnel.

I do suffer from generalised anxiety but I can live with. What I cannot live with is panic attacks in social situations. That has to go "bye-byes." It is keeping me in a prison. I am always fearing the next social anxiety attack (the embarrassment ....the same thing "over and over and over again."

I see my therapist this coming Wednesday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information