Thread: Dry Nose

Dry Nose

Hi! A little background, I have never been an anxious person. Even when my 10 day old first born daughter was admitted to the hospital for struggling to breath and eat. Nor when she spent months undiagnosed in the hospital, or was finally diagnosed with a rare neuromuscular disorder and sent home on with a trach and a ventilator (she is fine now). Not even a bit of depression or out of the normal anxiety. Then, 2 years ago I had nasal surgery (septoplasty/rhino). Immediately following the surgery I had my first of many panic attacks. This continued for over a week. After I was recovered, they left as quickly as they came. Then this past November I developed a cold. It came during a time that I had been very stressed at work and in my home life. I first noticed a little bit of dryness in one side of my nose. It felt cold when I took a breath. For some reason I googled this and came across something called empty nose syndrome. This scared me, but didn't think a ton more about it. I worried about the dryness coming back, but the next couple of days where fine as I was busy. Then, 3 days later I was on my way to the airport when the dryness came back. From that point on things became horrible. One side was dry and I worried about it. Nothing seemed to make it better. Then the other side became dry. I am talking my whole nasal passage ways were bone dry. The only time I could produce snot was when I cried and in the morning time. This started to trigger my panic. I have now learned that my nose is a trigger point for anxiety due to nasal surgery I had when I was 8. It was traumatic for me then, so I think it is a trigger now.

Fast foward to today. I now suffer from severe anxiety over my nose. I use saline spray daily, a nasal oil, and aquaphor to keep it moisturized. I obsess over the dryness. I have visited 3 different ENTs. They don't seem concerned and brush it off as the weather or a possible autoimmune, but they don't think it is autoimmune. I have recently started on Zoloft to help, which right now is just giving me worse anxiety as I have just started. My question is, is it possible my nose problems are all anxiety induced? I have forced myself to become a mouth breather and spend almost every waking minute thinking of my nose. I also experience a burning in my upper back and dry mouth when my anxiety is at its worse. Also, my symptoms are worse later in the morning through the night. Early mornings are not as bad for me.

Re: Dry Nose

Hi there... it sounds like anxiety to me... you seem over sensitive to that area so look at the facts... 3 ENTs have given you the all clear .. keep the saline sprays up... maybe a nerve or something might playing up... Hang in there... it will pass..

Quote Originally Posted by goodman View Post
    Hi there... it sounds like anxiety to me... you seem over sensitive to that area so look at the facts... 3 ENTs have given you the all clear .. keep the saline sprays up... maybe a nerve or something might playing up... Hang in there... it will pass..
    A couple of the doctors did mention nerve, but my brother who is a doctor told me they most likely said that just to give me a possibility so I didn't "leave empty handed". I want to believe it is psychological and will get better now that I am taking Zoloft and am working on mediating and seeing a psychologist.

Hey I am going through a similar situation did it pass?

Sorry to hear you are sufferfing like this. Zoloft can make you feel worse at first but it does settle down and worked well for me for a year or two.

I think the most important thing is that several Drs have said you are ok. I am sure anxiety could contribute because it makes breathing weird but that you have been checked is the important thing.

Try to work on your anxiety now though. Many here will, like me, have had it their whole life sometimes managing well, other times struggling. The sooner you recognise it and treat it (the meds a good first step) the better.

Thread Information