Thread: Australian flu

Australian flu

I'm getting extremely anxious hearing all the scare stories in the media about the world almost ending with the Australian flu !! I have an autoimmune disease & have a 12 year old family member about to start on methotrexate for RA. I almost could become a recluse but not really possible. It just feels worse at the moment with the news as well as various family with different illnesses. HA through the roof - HELP x

Re: Australian flu

Hi Autumn

I'm a long time lurker on here, there's been some great advice shared. But I signed up today to post, I'm in the exact same position as you. My husband has a serious heart condition and I am terrified of bringing this flu home to him. I haven't been out in the two weeks I've been off on holiday other than food shopping. I'm terrified of going back to work as I work in a hospital and everyone will be in contact with it. I have read so much on this subject I could write a paper on vaccine inefficiency for the Lancet

Some of the things I've read from the Australian flu reports may bring you some comfort. Sorry it wont let me post a link but this is from their summary. While of no help to those may catch it, the media does love scaring folk.

While more people had influenza this year, the infection was no more serious than in previous seasons.

Re: Australian flu

Thank you for replying ! Im amazed that only one reply as thought there would be lots of HA sufferers on here thinking about it. I haven't had the flu vaccine this year as have heard things that make me feel lots of money involved & maybe not so much in depth knowledge of how it affects the body !! As they say hand washing & not touching your face is probably the best defence. Good luck with work & I wish your husband well

Thread Information