Thread: Emetophobia or sick?

Emetophobia or sick?

TRIGGER WARNING: (kind of) explicit explanation of symptoms
    I will censor some words

Hello everyone.. I just registered my account to seek help from people who have experience with emetophobia. I'm not quite sure how to deal with it yet. I didn't need to for 6 years, until last month.

symptoms
    Last month I had the stomach bug or something along those lines. I v* twice and remained nauseous after that. An hour or two ago I became really nauseous again, but it wasn't the kind of nausea I felt when I was panicking. I actually had stomach pain and I felt something coming up.
    I have stayed up multiple nights worrying about v*. Never had I felt like I was going to v* like then, though. I took domperidon to prevent it. My nausea lessened.
    All of that aside, I'll describe what I've experienced over the last month. Please, people who have had therapy for it already (I'm starting it soon but not with an emetophobia specific expert) or who at least recognize the signs of anxiety and emetophobia, help me.
    List:
    -Gassy, bloated, burping more
    -Nausea, more nauseous after eating
    -Acid in the back of my throat [treated with omeprazole now]
    -Feeling acid come up [omeprazole]
    -Occasional chest pain
    -Salivating more (perhaps I'm just focusing on it more? I'm embarrassed to admit I've been drooling sometimes because of excess saliva.. a friend of mine with emetophobia told me she experiences this too.)
    -Decreased appetite
    -Trouble swallowing (sometimes), dry painful feeling when swallowing (sometimes) [it has bettered a bit since I got prescribed omeprazole]
    -Hiccups that don't completely let up
    -Constipation (lately, extra sensitivity and extra bowel movements, which is weird..)
    -Strained yet open feeling of throat most of the time, sometimes just strained
    -Trouble sleeping because of all of this
    -Weak immune system. I've had an infection, a cold, some stomach bug (the very first thing that caused all this stress), and possibly influenza already. My pinky finger and both my pinky toes are swollen and painful, and have been for a couple of weeks, too.

(+ I can't recall feeling anything come up and not v* when I had to v* before in my life. Is it anxiety? It certainly is scary).

This post might be messy. It's 1:15AM and I'm still a bit nauseous and stressed. I'm sorry if it wasn't clear enough.. I hope you can help me recognize the anxiety/emetophobia symptoms. I need to differentiate. If you know any coping methods as well, I'd love to hear it. Thank you.
    Last edited by 4ggro; 03-01-18 at 01:59. Reason: Added more info

Re: Emetophobia or sick?

Your symptoms sound like they're caused by anxiety. You explained exactly how I feel when I am terribly stressed or anxious.

Agree with Mom2FourKiddos. It sounds like anxiety. It's what I suffer from and I have almost all the symptoms you described.

Are you scared to be sick? Or are you changing the way you eat / live because of being worried about being sick? Xx

Thread Information