Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aura before migraine

Aura before migraine

Hi, i'm not particularly prone to migraines but have had maybe 4 over the last ten years.

I got home after work last night and was sitting watching tv when I suddenly noticed a multicolored zig zag line in my right eye, it worked its way from the bottom to the top over about 15 minutes or so. I took paracetamol in a hope to ward off the headache but within half an hour I could feel it starting to get painful. I still have a headache today and feel generally yucky.

I'm just wonderr if it could have been caused by stress. My cat had to go to the vets yesterday after having had seizures and being unable to pass urine so i've been worried about him a lot. Also my 31year old son hada strange thing happen last week where he got up inthe middle of the night and was numb all down his left side and found it difficult to walk. I made an appointment for him to see his gp and he was told it could have been a TIA but unlikely because of his age. He has an appointment at the stroke clinic tomorrow morning.

I have been struggling badly for the last 17 months with anxiety and trying to control it but feel a bit on edge today. Trying not to overthink.

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

Anyone else get an aura with a migraine?

Re: Aura before migraine

Do a search for Migraine Aura and there are pages and pages of similar posts.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 04-01-18 at 17:19.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I've had these . The first time I had it I thought I was going blind. It freaked me the hell out. I was at work luckily a neurologist was there and he told me what it was. He said they are harmless and to expect a terrible migraine after the aura passes. I get the randomly maybe once every 2 years or so.

I have searched and come across lots which is reassuring but I have also googled migraine with aura and it has come up that an aura can be more of a concern for a stroke. My mum was only 42 when she had her first stroke and was 45 when she had the fatal one. Normally strokes don't worry me even with my mums history but for some reason this has got into my head and i'm almost worried to go to sleep tonight.

Silly, I know!

I have had these since I was 16. I'm 30 now. I don't get them often, but I know the aura when it comes on. Maybe 1 or 2 a year. Certain things can trigger it. If I see the aura I have found that Aleve and a cold caffeinated beverage (for me a Coke) work well to help shorten the length. I have been told that the stroke part is more of a concern regarding medications. For example, I am only allowed to take non-hormonal birth control pills bc of the risk.

I posted about this on Facebook last year, I was supposed how many of my friends have migraines with Aura. Many suggested magnesium to take.

I've had these. Very common.

Me too. My migraines always start like this.

Rainbow, I hope your son and cat are ok? Must be very worrying for you and not surprising that you have a migraine. Hope you are feeling better today?

Hi rainbow. I get migraines - not ever so often, but they're usually brought on by stress ( had one last night actually) and they ALWAYS start with odd vision. In me my vision goes all kaleidoscopic, then I get zig zags and only then, the headache. They are a particular type of migraine called an ocular migraine. Does respond to medication, but does leave you feeling rather " out of it " for a day or so. It really isn't anything to worry about but a trip to doc to get some effective medication to have on hand when you do get one would be a good idea. Try to relax xx

Thanks for all the replies, i've calmed down a little and my head is better now. I certainly helped to see that there are others who've experienced the aura with the migraine.

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Rainbow, I hope your son and cat are ok? Must be very worrying for you and not surprising that you have a migraine. Hope you are feeling better today?
    Hi pulisa, I went with my son to the stroke clinic this morning and they are sending him for an mri in the next few weeks, just to be on the safe side. His blood pressure was high so its a little concerning.

Just had a message from my vet saying my cat is doing well and we can get him home today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information