Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pharmacy switch my generic brand and freaking out!

pharmacy switch my generic brand and freaking out!

I take the generic klonopin daily and have been using the same brand for a few months. Last night I picked up my prescription and the tablets were blue (not the green I am used to). They don't work as well (not as potent). I called the pharmacy and they are giving me a hard time about doing an exchange. They claim they are out of stock of my regular brand and that they were only sent this new manufacturer brand (Sandoz), instead of what I normally take. The potency is much, much lower. Has anyone else had this problem. Is this all in my head??? Am I just worried because they look different. I am trying to get the pharmacy to order my regular brand, but it may take a few days and I have to talk to the pharmacy manager to do an exchange at the store. Ugh.... so frustrating.

Re: pharmacy switch my generic brand and freaking out!

Hi

How do you know the potency is much lower?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I'm not sure how it works in the States but could you ask your physician for a frsh prescription and go to a different pharmacy that would dispense your usual brand?

I have similar issues, not with potency but due to allergies to certain colourings used in manufacturing.

Generic drugs have to meet very strict criteria. I've had manufacturer changes for many of the meds I take. Change of shape, color etc. is common. Dosage doesn't change nor does potency.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Do you realise how much testing has to be done before a drug can be released for human use. They'll be identical. It's like getting store brand ibuprofen and prescribed - exactly the same. Colour is irrelevant

Agree with all of the above, just because something is generic doesn't mean they get to mess with the potency. The brand of my mirtazapine has changed 3 times now and they aren't any different to me.

Pregabalin 300mg

Thank you all for responding! Why do I feel like it's not working as good. It's not calming my anxiety like the other pills would. Is this all in my mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethansmom View Post
    Is this all in my mind?
    Being that the drug dosage and active ingredients are the same, I would suggest that it most certainly is.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ethansmom View Post
    Thank you all for responding! Why do I feel like it's not working as good. It's not calming my anxiety like the other pills would. Is this all in my mind?
    Hi. Klonopin is a benzodiazepine (I had to venture onto Google to check - it's called something else in the UK) so hopefully your doctor has discussed tolerance issues with you if you're taking it every day as you say? Their effectiveness is reduced over time as you develop tolerance. They are normally only recommended for short-term use (4 weeks is normally the recommended maximum). Might be worth talking to your doc about it if this might be an issue.

Your FDA have tightened up on this. Anyone wishing to read about what has happened in the past can find where they investigated drugs to find some were out of tolerance when it came to generics vs original, but this brought in new legislation in the US to stop it going on.

Even so, some people seem to find changes in brands cause problems. Part of this might be the additional substances added as they fall outside of legislation about the required tolerance %'s of the active main drug. It's sadly an issue, doctors have commented about it over here but it's more about heart or epilepsy drugs and a bit of an unknown outside of those.

Obviously, one issue is us. When I was so scared I couldn't even change my meals you can imagine how a brand change would upset me. So, try to be open minded about it and if you experience problems, go back to your GP about it and see what they can do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information