Thread: Home BP tests

Home BP tests

Hiya,

just need some sensible, calming, reassuring advice please!!

I'm due to have a 24-hour BP test next week, and I've been very good, trying not to think about it and worry about it, although I am concerned (always had low BP til recently, then had some high readings and they were high enough to concern the nurse).

I'm 57 and there's a family history of high BP so it's quite possible I have an issue - and I know, entirely possible they can give me effective meds if I need them.

Today a colleague brought in her home BP kit (which her doctor told her to get two years ago and she has never used, nor been checked). I did say I'd rather not bother, but she insisted and of course it was a high reading.

I've managed to stop her googling (the irony!) any more and I know it's only 5 days til I'm tested, but I can feel myself panicking. Of course, I'm now thinking the panic will have sent my BP up... she wants to take it again later but I'm not going to let her.

I know all the things I need to hear, but I'd love to hear them from someone else please! I'm sure you can imagine all the things going through my head, and it won't cause me any more anxiety if you mention them! I am working hard on Not Googling but she's been doing it for me! lol

Thank you!

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 ----------

...anybody...??

Re: Home BP tests

I have a home monitor. My cardiologist recommended it for me as I have heart disease and we had changed dosage so she wanted me to keep an eye on it for a few months. Anyway... there are different machines, quality, accuracy etc. Also, at least with my machine, they recommend getting comfortable for 5 minutes or so then take it three times and use the average. I personally find my 2nd and 3rd reading to almost the same with the 1st being just a couple of points higher. With my meds, diet and such, my BP always stays in the normal range.

It wouldn't surprise me to see you have some minor BP issues with anxiety and being 57 (I'm a year older). No biggie. Exercise (even walking) proper diet and meds and all will be fine. I do recommend you not using the home machine as self-monitoring will lead to increased anxiety and self-checking behavior.

Positive thoughts,
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Blood pressure can alter from one minuet to the next.
    Try not to panic about the 24hour BP, it is a good thing as your doctor will be able to tell you about the results and prescribe medication if needed.
    You will be alright.
    I remember going to see the nurse for BP test. It was high, I new this nurse and we had been chatting beforehand. My BP was high. We sat in silence for a few minuets.
    She took it again and it was normal.
    Good Luck x

Thank you. I had been asked to check mine once a week (there's a machine at the doctor's surgery) and after I'd had a few higher than normal readings I went to see the nurse. It was fairly high the first time she took it. We chatted and I relaxed and the second was even higher. The third was so high it made us laugh because it was obviously White Coat syndrome. But it was still scary as it used to be low.

I managed not to be measured again by my colleague today (not totally convinced she was using the machine correctly anyway), and I've managed to stay off Dr Google. It's a ridiculous fear that something will 'give' before I get tested, as my worries about my BP send it up... I am managing the self-talk though, and I will get there! Thank you.

How was your 24/H BP test? I had one in November, and mine was totally fine at home. It was the stress at the doctors office that causes my high BP (no parking place at the doctor, running from the parking lot to the office, because I was late etc.).

Thread Information