Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 15 hour flight in 3 weeks and I'm terrified. Please help.

  1. #1

    15 hour flight in 3 weeks and I'm terrified. Please help.

    I'm moving to Canada from Australia. My fiance and my mum are coming over (mum only for a a week) and I am freaking out so badly I am considering cancelling my flight. I am so scared I will get motion sickness, I've never had motion sickness from cars or when I was on a cruise and we went through a storm, would a plane give me motion sickness if those haven't? I've heard it's rare on planes but I can't stop panicking.

    My doctor told me to take valium but not how much to take she just said "whatever you think is best". I already take 7.5mg a day (have done that for 2 years) but it doesn't stop the panic completely it just lowers it so I can eat without completely freaking out, what dosage of valium should I take to make me not care at all about if I get sick or being trapped on the plane?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    208

    Re: 15 hour flight in 3 weeks and I'm terrified. Please help.

    Hi. I too hate flying and cancelled a holiday last year because of this.

    I would however try to contact the doctor and see what they suggest. For me I needed about 8mg to get me on the plane and this was sufficient to allow me to cope for a 3hr flight.

  3. #3

    Re: 15 hour flight in 3 weeks and I'm terrified. Please help.

    Quote Originally Posted by up a ladder View Post
    Hi. I too hate flying and cancelled a holiday last year because of this.

    I would however try to contact the doctor and see what they suggest. For me I needed about 8mg to get me on the plane and this was sufficient to allow me to cope for a 3hr flight.
    My doctor only suggested to take as much valium as I need, I'd take dramamine or something but I don't want the drowsiness to interact with my valium

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    91

    Re: 15 hour flight in 3 weeks and I'm terrified. Please help.

    I totally agree about diazepam not doing much for severe anxiety. I took 6mg a couple of hours ago because I cane back from the US to the UK and have jet lag with severe anxiety, hasn't really touched it.

    I took Dramamine on the way out as I felt nauseous and it helped a lot. Imo it's worth a try.

  5. #5

    Re: 15 hour flight in 3 weeks and I'm terrified. Please help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobey View Post
    I totally agree about diazepam not doing much for severe anxiety. I took 6mg a couple of hours ago because I cane back from the US to the UK and have jet lag with severe anxiety, hasn't really touched it.

    I took Dramamine on the way out as I felt nauseous and it helped a lot. Imo it's worth a try.
    Do you know if it's safe to mix dramamine with valium?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    91

    Re: 15 hour flight in 3 weeks and I'm terrified. Please help.

    Says moderate reaction online. I took 6mg diazepam earlier and 50mg dramamine to try and force sleep from 8 hour jet lag but I'm still awake . ��

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    4,403

    Re: 15 hour flight in 3 weeks and I'm terrified. Please help.

    You could try the safer herbal route it's called Rescue Remedy 5 or 6 drops in a glass of water 30 mins before you fly etc will do the trick or simply 5 or 6 drops on your tongue it's completely safe and no harsh chemicals either and it's none addictive too Some ppl have even used on their dogs when fire works or loud bangs are happening I am one of those many ppll that have used it on their dogs with great success, there's no faffing about oh should I take 2 or more valium can I mix my tablet with this one as well none of that and you are good to go ATB

  8. #8

    Re: 15 hour flight in 3 weeks and I'm terrified. Please help.

    Taking dramamine would be good as stated, i feel like that alone calms me down alltogether but my first time on a plane i was terrified! and i am someone who is prone to getting motion sickness on car rides and buses if i dont take dramamine. take off and landing is really the only time you feel something and even then it is not bad. exactly like an elevator! as for the actual ride, it feels like NOTHING. like seriously. nothing. it feels as if youre just sitting down at home on your couch. the first time i flew, there was actually a storm two hours into flying. there was turbulence. it felt like being on a slightly bumpy road, i thought: finally, some motion! watch some youtube videos of peoples first times on planes, i feel like that eased the situation a bit. youll be fine, but maybe a bit bored on such a long flight, so try sleeping or keeping busy! hugs

    i just saw how old this post is, my apologies! haha, i hope it went well!

  9. #9

    Re: 15 hour flight in 3 weeks and I'm terrified. Please help.

    Quote Originally Posted by refreshingsanity View Post
    Taking dramamine would be good as stated, i feel like that alone calms me down alltogether but my first time on a plane i was terrified! and i am someone who is prone to getting motion sickness on car rides and buses if i dont take dramamine. take off and landing is really the only time you feel something and even then it is not bad. exactly like an elevator! as for the actual ride, it feels like NOTHING. like seriously. nothing. it feels as if youre just sitting down at home on your couch. the first time i flew, there was actually a storm two hours into flying. there was turbulence. it felt like being on a slightly bumpy road, i thought: finally, some motion! watch some youtube videos of peoples first times on planes, i feel like that eased the situation a bit. youll be fine, but maybe a bit bored on such a long flight, so try sleeping or keeping busy! hugs

    i just saw how old this post is, my apologies! haha, i hope it went well!
    Just an update on this since i just remembered.... I never went :( I gave up my visa, let it expire and i dont qualify for a new one, lost my plane ticket money..... basically ruined my dream of living in Canada, all because of Emetophobia and me being unable to deal with it. I still can't accept how much I ****ed up.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 5 hour flight
    By flyingfear in forum Panic / Panic Attacks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-17, 13:35
  2. Worried about 10 hour flight!
    By oscar1 in forum General Anxiety / Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-01-17, 11:54
  3. Massive day tomorrow 7 hour flight!
    By bekw89 in forum General Anxiety / Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-10-15, 19:32
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-08, 18:35
  5. Just booked a ten hour flight really panicking!! Help please
    By geishagirl in forum General Anxiety / Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-01-08, 20:52

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •