Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aussie Flu discussion

Re: Aussie Flu discussion

I am in an hysterical mess with this flu thing at the moment. i have asthma and my husband has a serious heart condition. I work in in a large hospital and am terrified of bringing it home to him. So much so over the last few weeks I've considered moving out so I dont give him it and resigning so I can stay in!

After talking to a consultant (I'm a ward manager), here's some of the things I was told today. Hope it helps.

Most of the articles in the newspapers are rubbish. Apparently there was a story in the Daily Mail the other day so full of misinformation and contradiction medical staff have lodged a complaint. If you have to bother with the media only read the BBC Health pages.

The flu red map that screams INFECTION, is a survey tool. It doesnt record actual diagnosis. People sign up to it and every week complete a survey of how they are feeling. That is what the figures are. You only need to look at the pages on here to see how many folk misdiagnose themselves to know how inaccurate it could be. Apparently it is only really useful after flu season as a guide but the media have jumped all over it as red looks fierce.

If you want figures about how many people actually have flu the the Public Health (England) and Health Protection (Scotland) issue flu reports every week. These contain the exact number of diagnosed, hospital admissions, vaccine reliability and also give last years figures for comparison. Read these not headlines.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...al-flu-reports

Flu is a real threat not just to you but to others you have contact with. Everyone who is eligible for a vaccine should get it.. If you're not eligible, I'd buy it. But that's only my opinion,I'm not a clinician.
    Last edited by toddsmum; 08-01-18 at 17:11.

Oh boy, the news had me freaking out over the flu... To the point I was washing and sanitizing my hands every 5 minutes. They were so dry that I ended up with a burning pain on the tops of them. My 3 year old got sick last month and it was pretty bad for her, I guess because she is so young.. I took her to the ER and when the doctor came in with the results and told me she had flu type A, I bout had a heart attack. My poor baby was looking to me for comfort and I was afraid to touch her I had read on the news a few days before about a 20 year old healthy mom of 2 dying the day after being diagnosed and thats what freaked me out. In the end it was like the domino effect, one by one we all got it but it was no different then any other flu.

You are right, the media hypes everything up. I live in Florida and they do it every year with hurricanes as well.. Drives me nuts...

Theres no escaping it sometimes. Flu is something we tend to forget about until we get it. The papers realise this so they attach a word to it to make it sound worse than it is. They love using words like "new" and "deadly" as well

Pregabalin 300mg

I actually stopped watching the news or reading it apart from the sport... Anxiety levels dropped instantly!

I’m from Sydney and the only time I heard about this “Aussie fly” was recently when it hit UK and US. Apart from heaps of people getting it, I don’t think it was THAT serious overall

That was the impression I got too. It all of a sudden became a problem the minute it went overseas. If anything its an interesting social experiment

Pregabalin 300mg

It's ideal clickbait. Just as the same media who poke at Trump really love him...he's increasing their profits!!!

Bird flu, swine flu, Aussie flu, flu flu...

I've had a cold the last day so I will look out for signs of Aussie Flu...saying "G'day", tendency towards a string vest, craving for shrimp with BBQ sauce...

The Daily Mail and it's ilk are disgusting rags written by irresponsible morons who wish to illicit fear and panic with barely researched (or in some cases simple lies) articles designed solely to misinform, anger and divide people.

Terry is correct, it is because fear = profit.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    The Daily Mail and it's ilk are disgusting rags written by irresponsible morons who wish to illicit fear and panic with barely researched (or in some cases simple lies) articles designed solely to misinform, anger and divide people.

Terry is correct, it is because fear = profit.
    You sound like Russell Brand!! He hates the Daily Heil and always bases a lot of his show material around some of their outrageous articles..and also their dubious "journalists".

The daily star tomorrow says it’s worse than swine flu so I’m worried now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information