Thread: advice please

advice please

Hi all

At the moment i have an obsession with singing songs in my head all the time which is frightening me to death as I really do think that it is the start of a severe mental illness and that they will never go away.

It seems to have taken over my life at the moment and it is all that I can think about, no matter what else I am doing. It really does frighten me and the feelings that I get seem to take over.

I went out last night for the first time in about 6 months and it was such a shock to me to realise how different I had become from everyone else.

Does anyone know how to deal with this please so that I can start getting my life back on track.

Thanks

It is not the start of mental illness. Most people that have severe mental illness don't even know they have it.

It is your mind's way of coping at the moment and we all get those times that we get a song in our head and can't get rid of it.

Why were you different to everyone else last night?

Are you a bit stressed at the moment?

It will be ok, so try not to worry about the songs cos the more you think the worse it gets.

Try reading a book to take your mind of it or listen to a relaxing CD instead.

Basically you need to distract your mind away from the songs and on to something else.

Nicola

hi Jewel, Yes nics right u wouldnt know if you where mental or going mental, Everyone with anxiety, stress, ocd etc often think they cant take anymore and that they are going mental. I bet you are quite young? when I was a teen I remember clear that i always had beatle songs in my mind over and over again, dut it left as quick as it came. So i realy think you shouldnt realy worry about it ok? take care Vernon

hi jewel.

I always hum songs to myself and always have done. I guess it's just my way of forgetting about worry. It's probably the same for you. Don't worry about it - you're not the only one who does it!!

Sarah

Hi Jewel

It is definately not a sign of progessing mental illness, if it was you would have no recollection of it at all.

It is your way with coping with how you feel and preoccupying your mind from the anxiety.

I totally appreciate how hard it is when you go out after a long time and feel like you are a different person, but you are not its just that everyone has carried on with their lifes and we have missed out on parts of it. It isnt you that has changed but the time that has passed.

Love Sal xxxxx

Thanks for all your replies but at the moment I really am not coping very well.

I seem to convince myself that the songs are something taking over my mind and how wierd is that.

I seem to be at a blip at the moment and do not seem to be able to get out of it.

I am trying to carry on as normal and go to work but it is getting more and more difficult to carry on. I just feel like I have stopped and I dont know what to do.

Any advice please.

Thanks

Hi Jewel, don't know if I have any useful advice, but certainly some sympathy.
    Feeling like I need advice myself at the moment as my head is feeling really numb with a constant thobbing headache and no energy or enthusiasm.

Are you having other problems with your life at the moment, like with practical, financial, family things etc? - cos I find that it's often when there doesn't seem much future to look forward to that the mind goes round in circles, and wondering if that's what's happening to you....

Only thing I can suggest is try and relax, find something interesting to think about, a book to read, or anything to try and get over this difficult time. Things will get better, they never stay the same for very long.
    Sooner or later you'll suddenly find the songs have gone and life will be great again.
    That's what I keep trying to tell myself anyway
    All the best,
    Marc
    xx

i find i sing an awful lot....its as if i know im having a stress and need to block it out half the time the songs i sing i dont even know??? that sounds very strange but when i calm down i wonder where i got it from.........i feel i must look very strange to outsiders but there is a lot worse i could be doing than singing ive taken to wearing small headphones as if im listening to a walkman or something when im actually not lol so dont feel your alone with this

fan x

Thread Information